barn help

coxgreenhouse

Hatching
8 Years
May 3, 2011
converting a 20' x 40' greenhouse into a shelter for chickens. I built a small coop this past winter but have overgrown it fast. Greenhouse is plastic wrapped but I need to put up siding inside. what do you guys recommend? I have very little money, wood, plastis metal? I was going to post a pic but they wont let me

Last edited:
Ok, no replies. How about this. Any comments about using wood sheeting for the interior walls. The cheapest I have found is the 1/4" press wood board. 6 bucks for a 4x8 sheet. Its thin , I don't see a problem with that but the glue used is a concearn. Anybody??????

I wish I knew...hopefully someome will come along that knows!
pop.gif

Anything with pressed board will deteriorate pretty quickly when it gets wet or damp. I wouldn't use pressed board. Plywood works well and you could use some of the 1/4 inch for that. Old barnwood is great. Check on craigslist for folks taking out old fences. In fact check craigslist for any supplies.

You will get more responses, but it doesn't always happen in 10 minutes! LOL.
wink.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the glue, you're talking about the inside walls, right? Whatever you can find that is the cheapest should work, we used OSB, painted with leftover/recycled gloss latex for easy cleaning. You don't want exposed insulation, but my neighbor covered her insulation with heavy plastic sheating, and that worked too (not so easy to clean but the chickens didn't bother it at all). I think the pressed wood would be fine and easy to work with. Chickens (unlike horses, goats...) are not really destructive, and easy to confine.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm not really sure, from your description, what you're trying to do. Are you taking down the plastic and using the remaining framework to hold the siding?

It would also help to know what area you're in or to know what the weather conditions are that you'll be dealing with. I'm in the Pacific NW with mild winters and summers, so I can get by with just plywood walls. But it needs to have plenty of overhang to keep out the rain.

Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. When you mentioned a greenhouse I instantly thought... humid. I'd also suggest you get a load of sand for the floor and make it about 3"-4" deep. Much easier, cleaner, and less expensive to keep up than shavings or straw. There's a whole thread discussing it that's full of good info..

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom