Barn lean-to coop build

After experimenting with a few different types of hardware - this ended up being the cheapest solution my children could reach as well as that didn't leave too much flex due to the double-hinge design. (Yes, it'll get paint.)

Attachments

• 1795BA0E-51E4-44D3-A0EA-F8B8AD2F4425.jpeg
    1795BA0E-51E4-44D3-A0EA-F8B8AD2F4425.jpeg
    385.6 KB · Views: 13
Only partially coop-related, but got the first bit of gutter up today. Will help keep some splash out of the run and went up on the newly replaced trim/fascia.

Attachments

• B72CD580-CED7-4016-BF0F-ADCA4631ADF1.jpeg
    B72CD580-CED7-4016-BF0F-ADCA4631ADF1.jpeg
    815.4 KB · Views: 8
Ramps look kinda of steep.
But doesn't look like there's space to shorten and put a concrete block(16") under low end,
so might double the number of cleats.
Yea, I think they look steep too, unfortunately I was so focused on "human-accessibility" for the main room area that I did not look at how much run-out I had to extend ramps through. They're not on a 45* but it is not low-vert.

They're not quite to the far wall (close side) - about 1' away from it. The hens are going to be taking a few "day trips" out there now that they have their second feathers - so they can enjoy the day weather - but be back inside before we get cold overnights. I'll be able to observe how they handle it.

My worst-case-scenario in my plan now is that I can make like a platform maybe 1/2 way up and have the ramps come to that and then do either a 90* turn or 180* turn (so either ending with the bottom of the ramps pointing towards the run entrance or back under the coop). Right now I feel like a little steeper but straight is going to be easier, but there's at least ways I can adjust if I need to.

You might find that your chickens try to fly down from the coop doors and hit the wall (they don't steer well).

My pen ends a little too close to the end of the ramp so sometimes my ladies catch a headwind and end up with enough lift to hit or even clear the fence.

It hasn't hurt them yet, but it's alarming.

You might find that your chickens try to fly down from the coop doors and hit the wall (they don't steer well).

My pen ends a little too close to the end of the ramp so sometimes my ladies catch a headwind and end up with enough lift to hit or even clear the fence.

It hasn't hurt them yet, but it's alarming.
Darn - makes sense but just another thing I'd not thought of yet. Not sure how I'd prevent that short of expanding the covered area out which means extending roofline and gutters or making an unroofed extension out to where the little garden area is now.

Probably wouldn't be bad to extend that way anyways - just hadn't figured to do it until if/when more birds come along.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for that too.

If it really is a problem I can also still jack the coop and lower the whole thing - I just liked the idea of the height for both cleaning inside and under.

Back
Top Bottom