Barn lean-to coop build

Yes, our height was purely based on a height that everyone from the 6 year old to my height could reach comfortably - while still trying to leave more room underneath that could be cleaned easily (and eventually to hang some of the feeder/waterer/toys with. Not much in thought of chicken egress/ingress at that time.

Fortunately the design is simple enough that if I lower it it's just a few minutes with a car jack and a saw on the 4 legs - then shortening the ramps. That would fix the angle of ramps as well as get them a little more out of the way.

I'll have to go back and play with 4th grade geometry to see how short I'd need to go to see how much improvement of departure angles (while still maintaining a useful 'underneath'.

Yes, our height was purely based on a height that everyone from the 6 year old to my height could reach comfortably - while still trying to leave more room underneath that could be cleaned easily (and eventually to hang some of the feeder/waterer/toys with. Not much in thought of chicken egress/ingress at that time.

Fortunately the design is simple enough that if I lower it it's just a few minutes with a car jack and a saw on the 4 legs - then shortening the ramps. That would fix the angle of ramps as well as get them a little more out of the way.

I'll have to go back and play with 4th grade geometry to see how short I'd need to go to see how much improvement of departure angles (while still maintaining a useful 'underneath'.

My Little Monitor Coop was originally mounted with 18" of ground clearance on the old property, but when I reset it in a new location on this property I might go for 24" because my Brahma rooster was at least 2 feet tall.

I'm not going to have another Brahma rooster, but roosters are generally taller than hens.

If you build a "landing platform" at the top before the door (like a porch), they may be able and willing to just fly up there. But they need an open porch to land on since their open wings can't fit through the door. When they exit, hopefully they're smart enough to take off facing the length of the run? (Others chime in if you have experience!)

But if the ramp is too steep, they'll just try to fly down.

They're not quite to the far wall (close side) - about 1' away from it. The hens are going to be taking a few "day trips" out there now that they have their second feathers - so they can enjoy the day weather - but be back inside before we get cold overnights. I'll be able to observe how they handle it.
Just stick a block under the end. before going into all the elaborate modifications..
...and, yes, Observe and Adjust.

Yeah, I believe the block will be a good first step. I also had someone elsewhere suggest to build a small platform on the fence/wire-side (essentially to like the landing-platform AmeliaBedelia suggested above, but at the "block"/low-end of the ramp. So it can be another hide-under/hangout spot, but also lessen the angle.

The landing platform idea at the high-side has merits too, that one concerns me a little bit more as I believe it would make me have to solve how to "hook on" the ramps (they have brackets so they cannot slip off/out of the openings - not screwed - just resting - but still) as well as the "hinge-down" cleanout guard I have.

Right now they're still a few weeks from being out there completely. They've done day-trips but I haven't had the ramps up for them to experiment with yet just because I want to paint them before they get pooped on!

Some interior shots now that paint is finished up and the roosting bars are set in.

Attachments

• 32BF51C3-1A28-403A-A6BB-42B9BC63E2EB.jpeg
    32BF51C3-1A28-403A-A6BB-42B9BC63E2EB.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 6DC8E297-3A50-489B-983E-7B00E7C04859.jpeg
    6DC8E297-3A50-489B-983E-7B00E7C04859.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 3
The ramp hooks - just some pieces of metal strapping bent to hook through the doors. Simple and cheap but should stop the ramps from being knocked down while keeping them easy to move for opening the doors.

Attachments

• 95B97B4D-062A-47D2-AE8C-0083F58F7C55.jpeg
    95B97B4D-062A-47D2-AE8C-0083F58F7C55.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 3
  • 990AE78A-9266-492B-AE9F-D9C531CC0577.jpeg
    990AE78A-9266-492B-AE9F-D9C531CC0577.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom