Barnesville, GA chicken auction

KenK

Songster
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
Georgia
Anybody here ever go? It's not too far from me and was thinking about checking it out. Any impresions?

I've been. I would highly suggest super duper quarantine procedures if you bring anything home.
I do like how they are set up ... they auction for you vs some others which make you present your stock (I hate standing in front of people)
when I lived on the southside (Pike county) I picked up some buffs and ended up with sick birds. I've since culled that flock, moved and started with other birds. Now I only buy from people I can visit or have a reputation on here.
But its a fun place to see a variety of birds... well if you like livestock auctions lol
Poultry Shows are better though!

We went last night. They sold off a bunch of goats, a handfull of calves, several rabbits, some cocketiels, pigeons, quail, ducks, and turkeys in addition to the chickens. Chickenwise, I remember Polish, Silkies, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Marans, RIRs various bantams, lots of mutts/unidentified birds. Prices ranged from $1-15 a head. Most birds were sold in cages of multiple birds.

All in all it was an entertaining evening and seemed to be a well run auction.

It is most assuredly very rustic, not much evidence of the country club set in attendance. Clean out your coop right before you go and you will fit right in. : )

Edit: they were running a seperate auction outside at the same time with tools/hardware etc. Something for everybody!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they are going to have an auction tonight? We have a bunch of barred rock roosters and at least a breeding pair of Silver Laced Wyandottes- if not all 4- (3 hens and a roo) that we need to get rid of just not sure they will be open tonight and I don't want to drive all the way down there if they aren't. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom