Barnevelder Double Laced Blue?

Hi guys. Yesterday i read what you guys wrote here, and it was making sense, that explained why chickens of the same breed looked so diferent from each other. But...

I have over 200 chickens, keep every breed separated from each other, take great care before i sell fertile eggs, make sure the right rooster, was with the right hen and noone pulled over the fence, but im new to Barnevelders...
So since one was biggers than the others, i simply assumed, he was the rooster, the other two were hens, and the gray ones, were simply another kind of Barnevelders.

This morning, i did the most obvious thing, i simply looked for spurs... and there they were, three have spurs, two dont. I felt realy stupid, what a basic rookie mistake.

Thanks alot for your help

Here they are

Attachments

• 20211124_124818.jpg
    20211124_124818.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211124_124820.jpg
    20211124_124820.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211124_124841.jpg
    20211124_124841.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 9
Hi guys. Yesterday i read what you guys wrote here, and it was making sense, that explained why chickens of the same breed looked so diferent from each other. But...

I have over 200 chickens, keep every breed separated from each other, take great care before i sell fertile eggs, make sure the right rooster, was with the right hen and noone pulled over the fence, but im new to Barnevelders...
So since one was biggers than the others, i simply assumed, he was the rooster, the other two were hens, and the gray ones, were simply another kind of Barnevelders.

This morning, i did the most obvious thing, i simply looked for spurs... and there they were, three have spurs, two dont. I felt realy stupid, what a basic rookie mistake.

Thanks alot for your help
Just know females can still grow spurs, just to make it harder. I have at least 3 girls with sharp ~1in ones

Here they are
Of those pictured, the first two are females and the last is male. It's not about the spurs, since females can get those, too. It's about male versus female feathering.

In the last picture, see those narrow, pointed feathers hanging off the sides of his lower back? They are whitish and look like little icicles, kind of. Those are male specific feathers. Females will never have that-- their feathers in that area are broader and rounded. Also, the combs and wattles of males are generally much larger, as is the case here.

Back
Top Bottom