Barnevelder hen with one closed eye

AustinTXMJS

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2018
Hi everyone,

I noticed today that one of my Barnevelder hens (of five) has one closed eye that seems a little swollen to the touch. She was in the nest box around 5:30PM taking a snooze, and when I grabbed her to put her outside I noticed the eye condition. Her comb/wattles are slightly warm to the touch, but I assume that is because it is highly vascularized tissue. When I lightly press on her eyelid it feels slightly warm as well. The eye seems a little goopy and is cloudy.

So far, I've taken her inside and flushed it out with sterile saline. I rubbed a little chicken-safe triple antibiotic on her eyelid. She didn't like it very much and got ornery very quickly. As far as I can tell, there is no discharge from her nares or sneezing, and her breathing seems normal. She's spending the night inside so I can monitor her food and water intake and check her poops. She had a normal looking but small poop already tonight. Her crop didn't feel like it had much in it.

I plan on mixing up a low dose of injectable antibiotic tomorrow at work (mostly likely 2mg/kg ampicillin) and injecting it into her breast. Maybe a few drops directly to the eye as well. Does that sound like a reasonable treatment? Is there something better I could be doing? I've included pictures of her "bad eye" and "good eye"
IMG_6469.jpg IMG_6470.jpg

AustinTXMJS

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2018
After doing some reading about swollen/cloudy eyes with discharge being a symptom of respiratory infection, I'm wondering if I should be worried about a Mycoplasma infection. Since I'm not going to be raising or selling chicks from my flock, I do not feel culling this hen is necessary. I am wondering if I should be switching from Ampicillin to Tetracycline because Mycoplasma has no cell wall and is resistant to -cillins. I found online that 15 mg/kg intramuscularly is a good dose for chickens.

Any thoughts? Am I jumping the gun on antibiotics, since this could be viral? Or is the hazy eye more a bacterial thing?

AustinTXMJS

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2018
Alright everyone, another update...

My bird is doing better. Her eye is now open most of the time. It's still red and watery, but seems clearer. I have decided against antibiotics besides the ointment I rub all over her eyelid twice a day.
I put her in the run in a dog crate this afternoon since she isn't displaying any signs of respiratory infection. She enjoyed being back by her sisters and the roo. She is eating and drinking well. I have no doubt she'll be back to normal. I wonder if she just got pecked or got something in her eye.

Top Bottom