Barnevelder pullet?

Your Barnevelder is a pullet.

Bought this barnevelder pullet sexed at a local feed store. But I've been wondering lately. Today I watched it find a bug and "call" the other pullets. I already have an older cockerel but he doesn't act like a rooster yet, other than crowing. Doesn't find food or protect or anything but chase a little and actually steal food.....
While it is true cockerels share their food more than pullets, that doesn't mean pullets are not capable of producing a food call sound. Pullets will call their flockmates over to a treat they found, although most of them would rather save it for themselves.

But I have 2 younger barnevelder pullets and this one might be a little more red in the face than the other one.
You should only worry about reddening in the face when a chick is reddening a whole lot more than its pullet flockmates. Pullets will start laying at different times, and therefore the amount of reddening in their face can vary.

Is she just a pullet acting like a rooster? I hope so. What's up with those white feathers showing out the backside in the 3rd pic? Confusing me.....
No, like I explained above, she is being a pullet who is sharing her food. And those white feathers do not mean much, since those are only the beginning of new feathers growing.

Back
Top Bottom