Barnevelder

sarahshaun1

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Avoca
Hello everyone
I am a new member and have not had chickens that long. I have rescued a barnevelder hen. She is very big and is not walking very well. She has a very long piece of nail like a spur on the back part of her leg. We tried to file it down but its very hard to get rid of. Is that what is making her walk funny or would it be her weight? She is sitting down all the time and she hobbles. Would anyone have an idea what is wrong with her? She is around 4kgs. Thanks :)

Was she reared on wire floor? Are her toe nails trimmed?

As for the spurs on her legs, it would be fine to keep them trimmed but they should not be touching each other's leg when walking.

Another thing, does she have leg mites?

A pic would help alot!

Hello there!
Thank you so much for trying to help me. I am new to this and dont know if I have uploaded the photos properly but the links are as follows:

24966_the_new_old_girl_003.jpg

24966_the_new_old_girl_004.jpg

I dont know where this chicken came from so I dont know whether she has been caged. I assume she has as her claws are so long. I filed them yesterday but they still seem too long. We got her and some others from the RSPCA. She is really hobbling - it looks as if her right foot is swollen at the centre joint. The long spur thing I filed down - that was actually stuck in her leg when I got her on Friday. She bled a little bit but its cleared up well. Its the hobbling Im worried about. I dont know a lot about chooks but Im trying to learn so any advice you have would be just super
Have a happy day

bumblefoot??? I dont see any scaley leg mites on her either.

I had a rooster like that and boy, I really filed down his spurs and finally hubby took his saw and cut the spurs up as far close to the end of quick of his nail.

He was caged for a good long time and once he got on the ground, he was limping and after while, he got better.

I have no idea how old this hen is but sometimes they injure themselves or just old age. Just keep an eye out on her for at least a week to see if it clear up on its own.

It could be that she was favoring one foot due to the ingrown spur, and it's just taking a while to even out again. The "good" foot was getting over-used and may have gotten some chicken tendonitis or something like that. Or its possible it's an old injury.

Thanks so much for your help
I will see how she goes in the next few days. Ill try and file down that spur as much as I can. The bit I did file took around half hour! Ill do that and keep an eye on her. She is pretty fat so maybe her and I can go on a diet together!

Back
Top Bottom