Barnyard Mix, Premie Hatching

WaxiChickens

In the Brooder
May 21, 2021
We have a big Australorp Rooster and a variety of Hens, Rhode Island Reds, Wyandottes, Australorps, French Maran.

I have hatched 2 sets of eggs in my Naturewise 360. Both times the majority have hatched at 20 days an one egg pipped the same time, but then ended up hatching a preemie chick.

The second time this happened, we just left and it hatched itself at 22 days, but had membrane stuck on its back. The chick finally fluffed out overnight, but it is small and shaky.

They were all set in the incubator at the same time. Is it possible that a certain breed of chicks hatches a little later or the barnyard mix combination is causing this or did it just pip because it could hear the others? We know it wasn't the Maran, and we don't think it was an Australorp hen because the egg was darker than our Australorps lay, but definitely not as dark as our Maran.

Last edited:
The chick is 1 day old now. It's doing a bit better, I've seen it drink water, haven't seen it eat.

This is my second attempt at incubating chicks. The first batch I started with 19 and had 8 survive. 1 pipped early and ended up dying within 24 hours. I messed up and helped it break the shell after it had gone over 24 hours.

With this second batch, I had 21 eggs, 18 hatched including this little guy.

This chick has more white than the others, and the last one that pipped early from my first incubated barnyard mix batch also had more white than the others.

Just curious if this could be an issue with a specific hen or breed.

Attachments

• Sticky Chicky.jpg
    Sticky Chicky.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 5
The chick is 1 day old now. It's doing a bit better, I've seen it drink water, haven't seen it eat.

This is my second attempt at incubating chicks. The first batch I started with 19 and had 8 survive. 1 pipped early and ended up dying within 24 hours. I messed up and helped it break the shell after it had gone over 24 hours.

With this second batch, I had 21 eggs, 18 hatched including this little guy.

This chick has more white than the others, and the last one that pipped early from my first incubated barnyard mix batch also had more white than the others.

Just curious if this could be an issue with a specific hen or breed.
What are you using as a form of incubation?

Back
Top Bottom