Barnyard mix sexing, 8 weeks age. Too soon, or should I take lots of photos???

Oof. I was wrong. Apologies for the confusion. I only meant to help.
Sexlinks seem to confuse a lot of people, including me when I was first learning it. :)

I just took some of the quotes out of my explanation post, because I realized I went way overboard quoting :oops: That looked (to me) like I was yelling at you for getting it wrong, which wasn't what I intended. I really should proofread before posting :rolleyes:

Sexlinks seem to confuse a lot of people, including me when I was first learning it. :)

I just took some of the quotes out of my explanation post, because I realized I went way overboard quoting :oops: That looked (to me) like I was yelling at you for getting it wrong, which wasn't what I intended. I really should proofread before posting :rolleyes:
It’s fine. I was sure I knew what I was talking about, and I didn’t. That’s on me.

Wait - does the father still pass on one barring chromosome to each gender offspring if he’s single barred, like this one?

at 5 weeks???

Good luck!

I think photo 1 might be a male, # 5, 6, 7 look male, and maybe #8.
I'm not sure about the others, because I'm just seeing little pictures on my screen and it's not letting me zoom in.

I probably would not be positive about any being pullets at that age, but some males can be pretty definite even that young.

As a general rule, if they all have single combs, the 1/4 with the reddest combs are definitely male, the 1/4 with the smallest pale combs are probably female, and the other 1/2 take more time :D

Yeah, I'm taking the genetics thing in baby bites - heck, half the reason I expect to take most of these birds to 20 weeks is so I can see the comb development (to determine mom's breed) and be certain of the sexing, so I can work backwards from a number of data points and see if there is any consistency.

That and to see if I have any early laying genetics - because early layers are generally early developers all the way around, and that's needed to put meat on fast.

Yeah, I'm taking the genetics thing in baby bites - heck, half the reason I expect to take most of these birds to 20 weeks is so I can see the comb development (to determine mom's breed) and be certain of the sexing, so I can work backwards from a number of data points and see if there is any consistency.
What kinds of comb are you working with? I would expect to be able to sort out most kinds of comb by 8 weeks or less.

I think photo 1 might be a male, # 5, 6, 7 look male, and maybe #8.
I'm not sure about the others, because I'm just seeing little pictures on my screen and it's not letting me zoom in.

I probably would not be positive about any being pullets at that age, but some males can be pretty definite even that young.

As a general rule, if they all have single combs, the 1/4 with the reddest combs are definitely male, the 1/4 with the smallest pale combs are probably female, and the other 1/2 take more time :D
I'll do 8 week photos, like I did with these, but I'm not expecting near certainty until the 12-16 week range. and photo documenting the whole way.

Back
Top Bottom