Barred Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stephanie1992, Dec 30, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it true u can sex a barred chick by the spot on there heads?? I heard u could... if it is do u guys think these are boys or girls? if u cant do that i guess we wont know for a few more weeks.

[​IMG]

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    They look like boys, but this isn't a sure-fire method. They could turn out to be pullets.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Check out their legs too. For barred rocks and dominiques, if the legs are a solid yellow with little to no dark shading, it's a boy. If the yellow leg has black shading down the front, it's a girl.

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  5. stephanie1992

Quote:there mix breeds. there legs are pinkish with dark coloring. i also tryed feather sexing and from that they are girls. but never know. i may have to wait a few weeks to see since there so young

6. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    What are they mixed with? If the roo was non barred and the mom was barred, then the babies will be sexlinked, which means those 2 would be cockerels.

7. stephanie1992

Quote:they came from olive eggs. Mothers were all black olive eggers(Marans Cross) and father i belive was a SLW.

8. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Sexlinks are hilghly likely. SLW are on the list for BSL sires, and the OE/Marans mix hens could have barring genes. Do you know what kind of Marans? Possible Cuckoo?

9. stephanie1992

Quote:i have no idea what marans. could be cuckoo

10. stephanie1992

also idk if this helps. there two days old and have feathers coming in. so does there hatch mate. there wings look alike

Mixed chicks in questions
    [​IMG]

hatch mate
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by