1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Cochins - what do you think? We are going to have hatching eggs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicks4MyFamily, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    Here are a few pictures of our Barred Cochins. I adore their heavily feathered feet and full fluffy butts! We have fallen in love with these chickens and as soon as we test the fertility of the eggs on a few hatches we will be offering hatching eggs for sale. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I am not an expert on cochins but the cushions on them are a bit lacking and they look cuckoo to me instead of barred but I am by no means an expert on that either.

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    You might need to trim their backends of your fertility is low. All that fluff can get in the way.

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    How old are they? I had 2 a couple of years ago, Hilda and Heidi, I loved them dearly but they seemed to be a little darker and more even barring then yours. I also think that they might be Cuckoo rather than barred, but they are very pretty all the same.[​IMG]

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:x2. Their conformation isn't quite right, and their barring needs quite a bit of work, but they are pretty none the less. Just not show quality [​IMG]

And ditto on the butt-fluff trimming. I had to do it to get any fertile eggs out of my blue girls when I had them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by