barred easter egger?

They do look like twins
lol.png
but the one has the bronze feathers and one is slimmer than the other. Thank you for posting about yours cause it sure helped me out to know I'm not the only one who has EE's that look like BR's

Last edited:
Wow cockadoodlemom, yours looks like a twin of mine! Thank you everybody for sharing your photos. I have been down with low back pain this past couple of weeks and did not respond to all the people who posted those great birds. I am really interested in improving my line. I plan to try to get a top notch show quality barred cockerel and also would be very interested in swapping eggs in the spring when laying, shiping, hatching and brooding are less complicated. Please do keep those photos coming. Post egg pics too! I will try to get a shot of Muffy's clutch.

Edit, sorry for the double post. A puppy walked on the keyboard and everything disappeared. I thought it was lost. Oh well.

Last edited:
well, ta da! Here is the new, improved EE! This just hatched out of the second egg she ever laid. I am guessing from the spot on the head it is barred. I am also guessing since it isn't light grey it is a girl. Since it is a girl barred, that means the father must have been barred also, which means from the pen she was in, the only barred boys in there were marans, so there is a chance she will be a decent olive egger, in addition to barred and bearded! Genetics gurus, feel free to pop my bubble at any time...
hmm.png

Anyhow, for now, I am stoked! Introducing, EE2!

ee2.jpg

ee2side.jpg

Great.... now I too need a Cuckoo EE! LOL Adorable birds everyone! So sweet with the barring and those muffs and beards! I'm a sucker for poofy faces!
big_smile.png

she has four babies hatched as of today. All are different looking. The first was just a smoky black all over, no beard (yet) and no spot on its head. The second was the bearded beauty I posted earlier. Then she had what looks like a barred boy, and this afternoon we got a feather footed little baby, no spot on the head, but a bit of rusty colored feathers around the head, makes me think the daddy was a copper black marans. This one has a weird, wide looking comb bed, wondering if that means future pea comb? The others all have little single combs from what I can see so far. This is so exciting!!! She still has a few more eggs to go, under a broody and is still laying an egg mostly every other day. I have her in with a splash cuckoo cockerel, probably too young to breed, a regular cuckoo cockerel and a copper black marans cockerel. (with a flock of other hens, not just her) and I will try to hatch more of her babies. I would LOVE a whole flock of her and her pullets, olive eggers galore!

I think it is too early to tell, which is exactly why barring would be an excellent trait in a variety which is otherwise maddeningly difficult to sex before four or five months old. While not 100% accurate, once the barring trait is set with the males being doubled gened for it, they should be fairly easy to sex upon hatching. Just that trait alone should be a worthwhile reason to develop a barred variety. Nice looking babies there! i will have to try to get a pic of my girl's chicks. They are growing like T-Rexes! Not all of mine have muffs, not all are barred, and not all have pea combs, but I think I got enough of the right stuff from this batch to start a really nice barred and bearded dark olive egger flock. I am very excited to see how this generation lays. I am going to keep all the pullets, peacombed as welll as single combed, and barred or not, and see for myself who lays what. I hatched a nice pea combed heavy barred cockerel, but he didn't get the beard. I will try to post pics later on.

Back
Top Bottom