Barred Leghorn

Is it a Standard or Bantam?
I have a 2001 Standard of Perfection and the only colors for Standard (Larg Fowl)Leghorns are: Dark Brown Leghorn (single and rose comb),
Light Brown (single and rose comb), White (single and rose comb),
Black (single and rose comb), Silver (single and rose comb),
Red (single comb only), Black-Tailed Red (single comb only) Columbian (single comb only), Golden Duck Wing (single comb only).
Now in bantams Single comb Leghorn only and the colors are Barred, Black, Golden Duck Wing,
Black Tailed Red, Buff, Columbian, Dark Brown, Light Brown, Red, Silver, White....

Chris

Last edited:
OK I went and pulled out my SoP (also 2001). Chris09 you are correct. I did take a look while I was at it, at Ekarius' Poultry Breeds, and she lists Barred in both Rose combed and single combed but does not differentiate bantam or standard. Maybe that's where I picked up the mis-info, unless the change has taken place since '01. Maybe we can hear from someone with more current info??

Jim

Quote:
I might be wroung but it can be showen if there is a AOV class for the Leghorn or a AOV Large Fowl.. Then I think it can only win the class...
chris

They may be shown (and should be) but cannot get BOB and APA recognition if they're large fowl. I have shown them several times in the past. As for the bantams, SC barred leghorns are recognized both by ABA and APA (I was instrumental in having them recognized at a show in WA state in the early 1990s). In order to make sure we would have enough birds I put up every bird (except 2) I had but brought home a bad disease and lost every one of them. It was quite devastating because I had put in many years of breeding to get to that point, and I subsequently lost touch with some of the other exhibitors (Mr. Hickman in Oregon passed away shortly thereafter). I have since redone the breeding program and finally this year have a pullet that shows a lot of promise, actually better than anything I had before. I believe I'll be able to breed some more of the same quality in the coming year.
Raccoons, dogs, and owls have made a major inroad in my large fowl barred, and I have only a single (old) hen left. A mating with a SC black leghorn did not produce the desired result, but I'll try again in the hope that she will still lay a few eggs this year.

I was just thinking about this thread the other day. I have the birds here on hand to make some crele leghorns and I am really tempted to make barred leghorns. I had some barred rocks this spring from show stock but I am not a big fan of their large bodies. Something about seeing a leghorn with crisp barring just makes me feel like getting to work.

Barred Leghorns were at one time in the Standard as Dominque Leghorns.Rose Comb Buffs were in and then out but are back in.Pile (pyle) Leghorns were at one time in ,these were all APA large fowl;. Yes non-standard colors are often shown in AOV classes,I have seen Exchequer,Mille Fluer,Buff Columbian,Blue,Blue Red Silver Blue,Cuckoo,Creel,etc. at shows in small numbers. I hatched out a nice cuckoo colored pullet this past year,she might actually be a creel as she has a bit of gold in her hackle.She is a project bird from my lavender duckwing leghorn breeding (Isabella)..

I hope you have some luck hatching this year! I think barred leghorns would be a good looking bird.
They may be shown (and should be) but cannot get BOB and APA recognition if they're large fowl. I have shown them several times in the past. As for the bantams, SC barred leghorns are recognized both by ABA and APA (I was instrumental in having them recognized at a show in WA state in the early 1990s). In order to make sure we would have enough birds I put up every bird (except 2) I had but brought home a bad disease and lost every one of them. It was quite devastating because I had put in many years of breeding to get to that point, and I subsequently lost touch with some of the other exhibitors (Mr. Hickman in Oregon passed away shortly thereafter). I have since redone the breeding program and finally this year have a pullet that shows a lot of promise, actually better than anything I had before. I believe I'll be able to breed some more of the same quality in the coming year.
Raccoons, dogs, and owls have made a major inroad in my large fowl barred, and I have only a single (old) hen left. A mating with a SC black leghorn did not produce the desired result, but I'll try again in the hope that she will still lay a few eggs this year.

Back
Top Bottom