Barred + Mottled + Lavender Thread

True, to get the entire correct pattern in the F2 would require hatching large numbers of chicks, any way you do it.

I was suggesting that they select F2s for lavender and mottled (1 in 16). Then they would have have less genes in play as they work among those birds to fix e+ and barring.

And I thought they were citing ratios of getting barred, mottled, lavender while ignoring e+/E (1 in 32 chance, not 1 in 500 that they said the chicken calculator was giving.)

I wonder if getting a different breed is an option?
If the ultimate goal is a 55 Flowery type bird, using a Spangled Old English Game Bantam (mottling on wild type) instead of the Houdan would keep all birds pure for e+, and would also avoid the Houdan's crest, v comb, and extra toes. Of course it would introduce a smaller size and poor laying ability, so it might just be trading one problem for another, and not really be any easier.
I will likely be selecting for anything mottled and lavender first round. I haven't decided if I want to do e+ or E yet, actually. I may let this year's hatching determine it. I've been looking for photos of "Ancobars" to see what the pattern actually looks like in black, but I haven't been able to find any.

And... I think I will keep the "head dressing" and fifth toes if I can and just work on an autosexing Houdan. My mottled Houdan line has been slow going, anyway. At any rate, no interest in bringing in any more birds for a couple of years (aside from what's already arranged) if I can possibly help it. Sourcing good quality stock for projects always just lands me with feeling like I should keep a pen of whatever that good quality stock is, and I have to quit that!

It will be interesting to see if these lay blue/green or white eggs. I have no idea yet if the lavender legbar cock I used was homozygous or heterozygous for the blue egg gene.

Last edited:
I thought about breeding lavender mottles but way to much bs involved right now and I cant even get a mottled bird from 2 splits the ones i kept lost their mottling so there nothing but more splits, throwing in lavender for me would be more of a hassle. If i cant even get a mottled bird.i want to create a tolbunt wyandotte with lace and mottling. So good luck with those two genes lol

I thought about breeding lavender mottles but way to much bs involved right now and I cant even get a mottled bird from 2 splits the ones i kept lost their mottling so there nothing but more splits, throwing in lavender for me would be more of a hassle. If i cant even get a mottled bird.i want to create a tolbunt wyandotte with lace and mottling. So good luck with those two genes lol
Why are you having trouble getting mottled birds? It's not an easy pattern to perfect, but it's a simple recessive trait. Nothing too complicated about it. Do you just mean with your specific birds, are you having losses or something? What breed?

Why are you having trouble getting mottled birds? It's not an easy pattern to perfect, but it's a simple recessive trait. Nothing too complicated about it. Do you just mean with your specific birds, are you having losses or something? What breed?
They are wyandottes and i gotta get one thats laced,mottled with a rose comb....the best ones are single combed and rest are not even mottled, like these chicks are mottled but both are single combs
20211115_122534.jpg
20211111_130612.jpg

They are wyandottes and i gotta get one thats laced,mottled with a rose comb....the best ones are single combed and rest are not even mottled, like these chicks are mottled but both are single combs View attachment 2900356View attachment 2900357

Try working on the type of your mottled birds before worrying about the lacing. It might be easier to break the project into steps.

If you breed your mottleds to partridge wyandottes you can work on the type and get mottled onto something that's on the way to single laced, but has a couple less genes to worry about. Then when you've got type where you want it you can breed your mottled partridge to gold lace and then the splits back to mottled partridge, etc... to get your tolbunts.

Try working on the type of your mottled birds before worrying about the lacing. It might be easier to break the project into steps.

If you breed your mottleds to partridge wyandottes you can work on the type and get mottled onto something that's on the way to single laced, but has a couple less genes to worry about. Then when you've got type where you want it you can breed your mottled partridge to gold lace and then the splits back to mottled partridge, etc... to get your tolbunts.
I already have the lacing its just trying to get the mottling heres my roosters as chicks
Screenshot_20211117-075509_Facebook.jpg

The laced was mottled aswell but lost it so hes split this is them now
FB_IMG_1637098456074.jpg

I have a blue laced hen that is split aswell gonna breed her to the laced rooster and see what I get.

Back
Top Bottom