Barred Orpington??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilverStar, May 10, 2009.

1. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    My husband and i just bought 2 "White Leghorns" today. We brought them home, got them all settled. I looked at my reciept and the reciept reads that i purchased 2 America Barred Orpingtons?. Miss print? Not sure. The Ranch we purchased them from will not be open until Tuesday so i can not contact them reguarding this matter until then.
    Does anyone have puictures of baby Barred Orpingtons and adults so i may compare? If i hear good feed back about them i may just keep them and purchase White Leghorns next Spring. Pictures would be much appriciated. Thanks everyone!

Oh.. and the baby chicks are all over yellow in color. Here is a pic of one of them

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I have not heard of Barred Orpingtons. And your pictures looks like a White Leghorn for sure.

3. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    maybe it's just a price grouping? ,those three breeds are the same price, is it hand written or printed?

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    They're not Orpingtons as their legs are the wrong colour; they are yellow, whereas Orpingtons have pale pink legs. It sounds like someone got Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons confused, but you got neither [​IMG]

5. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Barred Orpingtons are being worked on by breeders, but are not yet available en masse.
    That chick is not barred, nor is it an Orpington. It is a very typical White Leghorn.
    If you want to get Orps, I highly recommend it, they lay well, are considered heritage by some, and have lovely temperaments.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree with the others and will add that a barred bird is typically black with a white head spot. A white bird has down like your chick.

7. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    Quote:It was printed.

8. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got black barred/cuckoo Orps, they're black with the white headspot.

9. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  10. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know Buster. Thanks for the link. I think others, possibly not here (?) have done cuckoo/barred. If Buster used a barred rock (I used cornish cross hybrid pullets) he might find it easier to get nice tidy barring, barred rocks, especially the exhibition type have modifying genes which help with the barring.

Last edited: May 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by