Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks

I'm a first timer with chicks too, and I chose barred rocks for my flock. They are five weeks old and ready to move outside. I've had them in a large galvanized trough in the garage under a window where they get sunshine and can hear the outdoor sounds, including the neighbor's rooster. I've not had much hands on experience with chickens before, but these girls are quite the active sweeties. When I put my hand down to throw some feed in their pan of dirt or change out their waterer, they all come running and get so excited. Sometimes it kind of makes me a little nervous because I think they are charging after me, but they are just excited to see "the hand" and hear my voice. They always answer back with their peeping when I go through the garage and greet them even if I go out there at night and they are all piled up in the corner...someone in the bunch will still send out a little sleepy peep at me. I had planned to move them out to their tractor last weekend, but we had not quite gotten the electric fence barrier around it set up yet and I wasn't going to take any chances. They are feathered out all over except for a little bit of fuzz around their necks and heads and their combs are just starting to develop at the tops of their beaks. I love the feather coloring, but I'm sort of partial to spots.
wink.png

Glad to hear all the positive feedback about the BPR's. I placed my order for 2 week old chicks earlier today and they should be ready for pick up around July 5th! I can't even contain my excitement!!!
lol.png
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif

I put our Barred Rocks out at 3 weeks old. They were getting to big for the brooder box and making to much dust with all the scratching and pecking. we live in NW Washington, the temps were still in the freezing at night and 50-60 in days. They did just fine I put a 250W inferred heat lamp about 12-14 inches off the floor of the hen house and all was good. They will be 5 week this weekend 4/21/12. Happy chickening.

Back
Top Bottom