Barred Rock Chicken all white with strange feather growth

It is hard to know what all may be wrong with her. At first I didn’t think she could have started out as a barred rock, but see now that she has a genetic issue or failure to thrive. Her right eye seems a little sunken with prominent conjunctiva. That could be a sign of MG. Her feathers look pecked or broken off, and dirty. Feather mites or other parasites might be an issue. Poor little thing.

now over a year and a half old and looks nothing like the rest. She is about half the size of our other chickens and is missing feathers on almost her entire right wing and underneath. I have also just noticed her eyes have some liquid around them, she is producing a lot of stringy saliva and just all around struggles. She can hold her own with her sisters but I’m still so curious

I have also just noticed that she has started within the last two days or so to be shaking. She’s eating okay and drinking water.
How many roosters do you have? I see feather loss on the others in the background.

She's filthy. Give her a wash up. Flush her eyes with saline and put some Terramycin eye ointment in them.

Check her for lice/mites. Do see that she's eating/drinking and not being kept from food.
A bird that's over mated can lose condition. If you have no roosters - then investigating why there's so much feather loss would be a very good idea.

Stringy saliva - look inside her beak - any lesions or canker? Is her crop emptying overnight? Take a closer look at the side of her beak - is that a scab/lesion or just dirt?

Back
Top Bottom