Barred Rock chicks too stupid to thrive?

It's only 104 touching the the actual underside of the hot plate. That's why you move them up or down, depending on how big your chicks are. You can even raise one side higher and leave the other lower, so the chicks can decide how hot they want to be, which is how I have it. Mine is now a bit more dramatically adjusted because the BR cockerel is growing faster than the pullets.
The plate is checked twice a day. The brooder is in my living room, so the chicks are very much interacted with and watched. And YES. I am picking on these Barred Rock chicks. Let me list the breeds who did not have problems finding the food or the water or the hot plate after the first introduction, let alone the nineth time:
Road Island Red, Golden Comet, HampBar, Calico Princess, Buff Orpington, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Light Brahma.
So it seems, the Barred Rocks we're the outlier's. All the chicks were less than a week old, so age isn't a factor. But whatever. I know I go above and beyond for the chicks I raise. They are in my freaking house, for crying out loud! I research every day, about how to better the lives of my birds. I improve things, like the hot plate vs heat lamp, mash vs dry crumbles, nipple waterers (age appropriate) vs jug and dish. The amount of daily bird snacks are more than what we humans eat, my fridge is packed! I interact with my birds. All. Day. Long. And that's the outside ones as well as my inside chicks.
I'm done justifying myself to you.
Peace.
In my (limited) experience, each batch of chicks is just different. I've had EEs, Jerseys, Orpingtons, Sexlinks, Reds and now Silkies... my silkies are just plain weird. They're bordering on 6wks and my entire batch of mixed chicks still has trouble figuring out the feed. Personally, I don't mind babying my chooks, but each person's different. Our first batch of chicks were inside the house for almost 6 months...🤦‍♀️
(We didn't have a coop set up)
Hopefully yours figure things out soon lol

Back
Top Bottom