Barred Rock Chicks

I put eight young roosters in the freezer last week, they were 3-1/2 months old and were extremely close in size. I didn't weigh them prior to processing but they all dressed out between 3lb 2oz to 3lb 5oz without necks or feet and ready for the freezer. Just the straight carcass. I free range ours on a 6-acre pasture and they get free access to 16% all flock feed. We are one for dinner yesterday and it was excellent.

Wow, that is really encouraging!

Wow, that is really encouraging!
I had a couple of heritage Rhode Island Red hen x Bresse rooster crosses that came in right at 4 lbs, though. Looked like Bresse except with a ginger tinge to their back feathers from the time they started feathering in. It could be hybrid vigor, it could be their momma's heavy-ish body type, it could be their inherent RIR assertiveness when it comes to food (and everything else), but they are solid; generous in the thighs and breasts in comparison to all the other dual purpose birds I have. Still pale next to the Cornish Cross, though.

These RIRs are the last of their line for me unless I can find either another heavy RIR rooster or a decent clutch of eggs from someone who has a good heritage line. The hens I hatched out were allegedly from a line with ancestry including Henry Noll birds. Whether that's true or not, none of the RIR roosters I've seen have had the stockiness and density of my hens.

I had a couple of heritage Rhode Island Red hen x Bresse rooster crosses that came in right at 4 lbs, though. Looked like Bresse except with a ginger tinge to their back feathers from the time they started feathering in. It could be hybrid vigor, it could be their momma's heavy-ish body type, it could be their inherent RIR assertiveness when it comes to food (and everything else), but they are solid; generous in the thighs and breasts in comparison to all the other dual purpose birds I have. Still pale next to the Cornish Cross, though.

These RIRs are the last of their line for me unless I can find either another heavy RIR rooster or a decent clutch of eggs from someone who has a good heritage line. The hens I hatched out were allegedly from a line with ancestry including Henry Noll birds. Whether that's true or not, none of the RIR roosters I've seen have had the stockiness and density of my hens.

Maybe New Hampshires? They are supposed to be a sub-selection of RIR, that produce more meat, faster growth but less eggs than RIR.

Another option is to cross a male Bresse with a female hybrid like a freedom ranger or an actual Cornish Cross.

Look what this guy is doing:

I am planning to try something of this syle, maybe a 3/4 Bress with a 1/4 Hybrid end goal

Back
Top Bottom