Barred Rock hens & RIR roosters

The nice thing about the rir over barred hen cross is you can easily sex them at hatch. This is great for folks selling chicks, they can guarantee pullets. For the rest of us, it can give us an idea how many pullets we have so we know how many more eggs to hatch to maintain whatever number we want for our laying flock. They also lay great, and putting the pullets back under your rhode island red roo should give you good layers still, and hybrid vigor is nothing to sneeze at.

Well guys i did not know/understand how to sex a RIR rooster and BR hen cross, but ya'lls info has helped me figure one out today. It is black, nut on the chest there are four grey to white bars so i am going for rooster?

If the R I Red rooster has treaded the barred rock hens. The chicks with the white spot should be 100% males. And it is possible that maybe the other hens have laid. And then I could not answer.

sex link hens grow to be black birds with gold an the neck, chest and back, the amount of gold varies. a sex link bred with a sex link = a barnyard mix, they will not be sex links. if they don't have a white spot on their heads, then yes, they are females. they are amazing layers, and start fairly early.

here is a male and female black sexlink
This is awesome!!! I just put 10 RIR rooster BR hen eggs in the incubator!

Back
Top Bottom