Barred Rock Lethargic, Making Strange Coo

BYFarmer Al

Hatching
Jun 7, 2017
Hi. I have six Barred Rock chickens that are nine weeks old. Yesterday, I noticed that one wasn't acting right. He (not really sure if it is a boy or girl) makes like a weird growling noise or weak, slow cooing, when we pick him up or touch him. He is lethargic and sitting. I thought his right wing may be hurt because he isn't lifting it much (but he can lift it and can stand up). He is breathing quicker. No nasal drip or cough. I was scared that the other chickens would hurt him or bother him so I put him in a plastic bin by himself. They were all laying on top of him yesterday when I found him. He is the largest chicken in the flock and when he is himself, has a docile temperament and is kind of aloof from the others. The chickens are currently living a wood bottom pin with pine bedding and enclosed with chicken wire, inside of my sunroom/patio. I have the doors cracked slightly and a small bathroom like exhaust fan on for ventilation. None of the other chickens are acting this way. Symptoms began yesterday. No sign of trauma. He is my favorite chicken and I'm quite attached to him so I am open to a vet visit if necessary. None in the area see chickens so I want to be armed with as much info as I can before going to one who is willing to see him. Thank you so much in advance!

Here is a video of him last night making the noises and feeling bad. My daughter said he is up today which is good. I attached the pics she took of him this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_5632.JPG
    IMG_5632.JPG
    354.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5633.JPG
    IMG_5633.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 2
(1) Well first may I say you need to keep him hydrated.
meanin if he will notdrink and eat then you need to take a syringe with out needle and put it down his throat to the back and give him water with electrolights and I would say a crushed up Vitamin B Complex in the water. Stiring water before filling syringe.

(2)Also there is the bad part
Due to the wing mentioned and his lethargic actions I would say he has early Marek's symptoms.
With that said people have doctored their marek's affected chickens back to health slow but sure.

(4) Now for the bad pat: he is giving off marek's infected germs from his body, feathers, poop ccontent. He will always be a carrier of marek's.

(5) if you find a vet to take him to they can take a blood test to tell also.

(6) try and take a poop test sample along also.

() I am a firm believer in my WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE as it has helped and saved many, many chickens.

Last edited:
Is she eating and drinking? I would make sure there are some electrolytes and vitamins in his water, in case she is dehydrated. Have you seen any droppings, and what do they look like? The sounds she is making seem like moaning. She could possibly have been injured. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would look her over for any signs of constipation, mites or lice on his skin, and feel of his crop to check if it is empty, partly full, hard, or puffy. In the pictures she holds her head very upright--is that normal or just in the pictures?

WET MAH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR CHICKENS WITH ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS
Glenda Heywood

WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR YOUR CHICKENS HEALTH.
ACV by Bragg's is sold by Amazon and at Walmart. (remember to get Bragg's as it has the "brown mother" in the bottom of the bottle.)

My Daughter JoAnna Mertz feeds this wet mash probiotic several times a week to our 10 hens, 5 buff orpingtons 5plymouth rocks, and they are eating it up in 30 minutes.

To make the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE HERE IT IS
(A) TAKE 2 CUPS OF DRY CRUMBLES OR PELLETS,
(B) 1 TSP OF DRY FLAX SEED MEAL (THAT IS FOR HUMANS)
(C) PUT 4 CUPS OF MILK ANY KIND SOUR OR FRESH, 1 tbsp of dry flax seed meal,
(D) AND 2 TBSP OF THE UNPASTURIZED ACV.

(E) ALSO 1 /2 CUP OF UNFLAVORED YOUGART.

(F) MIX GOOD. PUT IT IN GLASS CONTAINER, AND KEEP ON THE COUNTER OVER NIGHT.

(G) IF IN THE MORNING YOU CAN ADD MORE MILK TO THE MIX TO MAKE IT SOLUBLE, like cookie dough, not soupy,

(H) DO NOT MAKE IT SOUPY AS CHICKENS DO NOT LIKE IT SOUPY.

(I) IF THE MIX IS OKAY IN THE MORNING AND NOT TOO DRY FEED IT IN THE GLASS CONTAINER SO ALL THE CHICKENS CAN GET TO IT.

(J I USED 2 VERY LARGE GLASS PIE PLATES. AND THEN CLEAN THE PIE PLATES BY BRING THEM BACK TO THE HOUSE.

(K) FEED THIS AMOUNT TO EACH CHICKEN 3 tbsp of mix when wet, so make your recipe to fit all amount of chickens to be fed

(L) WHEN MIXING FOR 1 CHICKEN DO THISIE: take 3 tbsp of dry feed and add 6 tbsp of milk, 1/4 tsp of dry flax seed meal, 1 tbsp of yougart plain kind, 1 tsp ACV,

(M) NOW IF THE CHICKEN IS SICK ADD THIS TO THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE

(N) 1 Vit E capsule buy cutting end of capsule off and squeezing it into the wet mix.
(O) 1-Vit B tablet crushed in table spoon and add a little water to disolve crushed tablet and then add to wet mash

(P) 1- Selenium tablet crushed in tbsp and add little water to it and then add to wwet mash.
(Q) now mx good and feed sick chuicken evey day for 7 days

(R) now feed it 5 times for second week.

(S) then 2 times a week for life

(T) feed all healthy chickens 2 times a week for life WITH VITAMINS ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS

(1) A NOTE HERE IS ABOUT WHEN CHICKENS HAVE COCCIDIOSIS YOU HAVE TO WAIT TILL THEY ARE OFF THE MEDICATION AT THE END OF 7 DAYS TO GIVE THE VITAMIS BECAUSE OF THIS FACT:
(2) IE::
Amprolium interferes with the coccidia oocyst’s ability to metabolise vitamin B so you may need to provide your chickens with a vitamin B supplement following treatment – but don’t give them this during treatment as you might render it ineffective.

I don't believe that Mareks disease can be diagnosed commonly with a blood test, especially by local vets. There used to be some vet centers, such as Texas A&M that advertised an under $30 PCR test, but I haven't found those links lately available. Most literature states that Mareks is best tested after death, where feather shafts or tumors can be tested. Usually that is done with a necropsy by either a state vet or poultry lab at some colleges.

I would also look at the possibility of coccidiosis, just in case that could be making him so ill. It causes runny droppings--sometimes with blood or mucus, poor appetite,sleepiness, weakness, and hunched appearance. Corid (amprollium) from feed stores is the treatment.

(1) Well first may I say you need to keep him hydrated.
meanin if he ill notdrink and eat then you need to take syringe with out needle and put it don his throat to the back and give him water with electrolights and I would saya crushed up Vitamin b Complex in the water. Stiring wter beforefilling syringe.

(2)Also there is the bad part
Due to the wing mentioned and his lethargic actions I would say he has early Marek's symptoms.
With that said people have doctored their marek's affected chickens back to health slow but sure.

(4) Now for the bad pat: he is giving off marek's infected germs from his body, feathers, poop etcx. He will always be a carrier of marek's.

(5) if yu find a vet to take him to they can take a blood test to tell also.

(6) try and take a poop test sample along also.

() I am a firm believer in my WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE as it has helped and saved many, many chickens.

Thank you! This is very helpful! I will give him some vitamins and probiotics tonight and maybe the vet tomorrow.

I don't believe that Mareks disease can be diagnosed commonly with a blood test, especially by local vets. There used to be some vet centers, such as Texas A&M that advertised an under $30 PCR test, but I haven't found those links lately available. Most literature states that Mareks is best tested after death, where feather shafts or tumors can be tested. Usually that is done with a necropsy by either a state vet or poultry lab at some colleges.

I would also look at the possibility of coccidiosis, just in case that could be making him so ill. It causes runny droppings--sometimes with blood or mucus, poor appetite,sleepiness, weakness, and hunched appearance. Corid (amprollium) from feed stores is the treatment.

Is she eating and drinking? I would make sure there are some electrolytes and vitamins in his water, in case she is dehydrated. Have you seen any droppings, and what do they look like? The sounds she is making seem like moaning. She could possibly have been injured. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would look her over for any signs of constipation, mites or lice on his skin, and feel of his crop to check if it is empty, partly full, hard, or puffy. In the pictures she holds her head very upright--is that normal or just in the pictures?

Back
Top Bottom