1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by phillyfarmer, Sep 4, 2011.

1. phillyfarmer

phillyfarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    One of my Barred rocks is kinda moping around. She has lost color in her comb but her waddles is still real red. 3days ago another chicken was pecked down to the skull in the back of the head. Is it possible the barred rock was the culprit? Is she getting sick because she ate the feathers, skin, fatty part, and blood? Or is it that she is getting "broody'? She is also losing some feathers. At least they are all over the run, but she still looks fully feathers...could she be molting?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It would not be because she pecked the other bird. I wonder if she is getting picked on if the other hen was removed from the flock to heal, is she being chased off from the waterer? Check her over carefully for mites or lice, but she could be suffering from a virus or worms, too. The heat has made many birds mope around, as well. My boody hens and moulting hens do not seem to mope. I hope she improves.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. phillyfarmer

May 16, 2009
    I didnt notice her being chased off at the waterer but she is eating some lentils and beans I made for her. The other hens were eating it too. She was still standing there eating it. The other hens went to another part of the yard. I dont think she has mites or lice. I dust coop with DE. What if it is worms or a virus? Her poo is like a greenish yellow. Like more on the brighter side. Does this mean anything?

4. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    greenish poo often means that either the chicken isn't eating or food is not making though the digestive system. Could she have a sour or impacted crop?

5. phillyfarmer

May 16, 2009
    I guess that is possible? I will have to read up on it and then check her in the morning.

I had her drink some water and she started to pant afterwards. Is this still from impacted or sour crop?

Thanks for the info.

*********Okay couldnt wait till morning. The crop is soft and pliable. It doesnt feel out of the norm.

6. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I am perplexed. You may want to separate her from the others. Keep an eye out for any other symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by