barred rock lost some feathers

greenacers001

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
i have a barred rock hen about 8 months old she has a bald spot in the middle of her back above the tail feathersand where the wind tips come together above the tail feathers there looks like baby feathers notice this about a couple of weeks now the hen acts fine I have 5 other hens and 2 roosters none of them have the problem that is one hen has any suggestions on what it is and how to fix it

thanks
greenacers001

This sounds like a molt. My barred rocks are molting right now:

As for the bald spot on her back it could be just molting or it could be from excess mating from the roosters. When roosters mount hens to many times they can lose quite a lot of feathers in the process and can get bare backs. If you have the hens and cocks together I would try to split them up, or at least one of the cocks from the rest of flock.
smile.png

Hope that helps you, I do not think you have any problems with your chickens, molting is natural and so is mating.

mr mkk farms thanks for the reply molting and mating sound logical will keep an eye on her and see what happens

thanks

I was going to post the same question. I have 6 hens and one of my Barred Rocks is really naked and it's getting cold out. They are about 18 months old now. I hope she grows some new feathers soon before she freezes.

Sometimes a roo will have a favorite hen. Anyways.. if her feathers don't grow back in, you might want to consider making a chicken saddle (also sometimes called an apron). Fleece is easy to deal with and there are a few patterns out there that don't require much if any sewing. It will protect her back from the rooster and give her a little protecting from the weather. Light cotton ones are good for in summer (takes sewing- can be bought in the internet) otherwise their back can get a pretty bad sunburn. Some hens may be a little freaked out at first.. or mellow and just not really care.

Back
Top Bottom