Barred Rock or Black Australorp?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by harleyjo, Jun 19, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    How do you tell the difference between a Barred Rock pullet and a Black Australorp pullet? I have a chick I thought was BA but now as she is getting bigger and I see BR's I don't know. She is black, yellowish white around the eyes and chest and black body with white barring starting.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    If she's starting to bar up it's a dead giveaway.
    As peeps they do look very similar but I believe the leg coloring is suposed to differ. You will have to ask teh experts to be certain in that regard. I don't have any barred rocks but I think their legs are supposed to be yellow.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Do you have pics ?

4. HOUSE OF ROCK A DOODLE

HOUSE OF ROCK A DOODLE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    BA chicks legs are dark

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  6. lubmychickens

lubmychickens New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    Cedarville, CA
    Interesting, I just bought some BA because I had young hens who sat too early this spring. Turns out 2 of them are sitting now. [​IMG]
    Same thing here, 2 of my chicks (which are about a month old now) sure do look alot like BR. I don't remember any of the other ones looking like this, they also have little white tufts at the end of their wings. I'll try to get a pic to post tomorrow, I am curious also.
    [​IMG]

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Barred Rocks can gernerally be sexed by their leg color as well as their head spots and backs, but pullets have dark legs and the roos have yellow leg.

8. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Legs are black, no spot on head. So far just white barring coming in on the lower sides of body. Rest of body is still black. I will try to get pics tomorrow. I was just going to let them get a little bigger yet before I took more
    [​IMG][/img]

This is a picture of the chick at 4 weeks and she is a few weeks older now. The one with the white/yellow around the eyes and you can see a little of the barring on the lower side of her body and white tips on her wings.

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Nevermind, your pic link wasnt right so I fixed it but you did to at the same time,

Anyway, its not a barred rock, thats not barring, its normal for young black chicks to have some spots like that.

10. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Thank-you, I redid the pic and got it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by