BARRED ROCK or DOMINIQUE???

So this lady came to buy some hatching eggs from my mixed flock. She then asked if she could take one of our barred rock hens, so I said sure.

She went home, then texted me saying (in my own words)
" I think the hen that I have is actually a dominique... "

She then went on to explain why she thinks it's a dominique instead of a barred rock. She said it was because the comb was kind of flat, and it had 6 spikes instead of 5 or something like that. I was like 99.99% positive my hen was a barred rock, but now I'm not so positive :)

She also mentioned the egg color was lighter brown and she claimed barred rocks lay much darker.

I'm pretty sure dominiques have rose combs, but my barred rocks ( I have 4 left, because I gave her one ) all have single combs.
So is it possible for a dominique to have a single comb? Is this a dominique? ::

View attachment 2833381
In the Purely Poultry order of (10) Dominique pullet chicks I split with a friend the hatchery "substituted" 3 barred rocks without informing me. Out of the 6 chicks I kept only one ended up being a barred rock and I call her sweet pea! She knew all along she wasn't a Dom and doesn't have anything to do with any of the Doms but one. They're besties who like to hang out, eat together and even roost together.My barred rock looks like the Dominiques but she won't even use the same nest box.

Last edited:
So this lady came to buy some hatching eggs from my mixed flock. She then asked if she could take one of our barred rock hens, so I said sure.

She went home, then texted me saying (in my own words)
" I think the hen that I have is actually a dominique... "

She then went on to explain why she thinks it's a dominique instead of a barred rock. She said it was because the comb was kind of flat, and it had 6 spikes instead of 5 or something like that. I was like 99.99% positive my hen was a barred rock, but now I'm not so positive :)

She also mentioned the egg color was lighter brown and she claimed barred rocks lay much darker.

I'm pretty sure dominiques have rose combs, but my barred rocks ( I have 4 left, because I gave her one ) all have single combs.
So is it possible for a dominique to have a single comb? Is this a dominique? ::

View attachment 2833381
Barred for sure, Dominiques have a different comb type. Not a single, still a very gorgeous lady you got!

In the Purely Poultry order of (10) Dominique pullet chicks I split with a friend the hatchery "substituted" 3 barred rocks without informing me. Out of the 6 chicks I kept only one ended up being a barred rock and I call her sweet pea! She knew all along she wasn't a Dom and doesn't have anything to do with any of the Doms but one. They're besties who like to hang out, eat together and even roost together.My barred rock looks like the Dominiques but she won't even use the same nest box.
Oh my gosh! I used to have a roo called sweet pea (auracana)

Attachments

• WP_20210811_15_31_34_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210811_15_31_34_Pro.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom