Barred Rock over cx hen OR cornish hen

Does anyone have a picture of this cross?

I put a blue Orpington rooster over a cornishX hen and got this blue barred cockerel. You might get something like him. But I believe my cornishX was recessive white, as I got all colored chicks out of that mix. Others who have crossed cornishXs seem to get mostly white chicks.
cockerel- blue - cornish.JPG

Where did you get your Cx from?
I want to breed a BR roo over a cx or cornish hen. After that, I'd like to mate the same roo to his daughters. Hopefully they would look a lot like Barred Rocks.

That's a really good looking boy there!You plan on breeding to his sisters that look like him?
I put a blue Orpington rooster over a cornishX hen and got this blue barred cockerel. You might get something like him. But I believe my cornishX was recessive white, as I got all colored chicks out of that mix. Others who have crossed cornishXs seem to get mostly white chicks.
View attachment 1563623

I know someone many years ago used some of the Ross 500 blood in his standard Barred Rocks, to get the size up. I think you'll get a mix of barred and white and maybe other colors if the hen was recessive, and within a few generations should be back to all barred again, if done well.

Would you suggest starting with a BR roo from a breeder? Or does it not matter since I'll be crossing it anyway?

I know someone many years ago used some of the Ross 500 blood in his standard Barred Rocks, to get the size up. I think you'll get a mix of barred and white and maybe other colors if the hen was recessive, and within a few generations should be back to all barred again, if done well.

Back
Top Bottom