Barred Rock Pullets?!?

Still a pullet?? Roughly 2 and a half months old.

Sometimes it's more red in the face. Like it fades or something.

Yes, still a pullet. Heat will make their faces turn red (mine too!). Her comb and wattles will keep growing and in a month or two she should start laying. Very eggsciting!

do barred rock chick pullets have lil wattles that grow under their beak??? this is the first time we have raised chicks i usually just get hen that already are laying....thanks for all the info

Yes, they will grow wattles. How old are the chicks? Cockerels usually start showing wattles sooner than pullets. Their combs will also be larger and redder sooner, and when they feather out, they have more white, making the overall color appear lighter. You can compare yours to my Spot. Sorry I don't have younger pics.

5-6 week BR pullet on left. Wattles just coming in.

Same at 9-10 weeks. Not much change.

Here she is at about 4+ months, before laying.
The pullets' wattles and combs will get larger and redder as they reach the point of lay.

they both are about 4 to 5 weeks old an one has a pink to red comb an wattles while the other has a yellow comb to pink an wattles...are they to young to till yet? i hope the others that i got arnt all roos bc its alot of feed that i could be giving hens instead...ill try an post pics later of the two..thanks for the info

the one on the bowl has the yellow to pink comb an wattles starting to grow...an the other has the reddish comb an wattles to grow

Yes, if you post pics, we might be able to tell. There are individual differences, of course. Is the one with the redder comb also a lighter color? Pullets also tend to have more of dark shading on the front of legs and feet. Nothing's 100%, but these are all clues and you can usually tell by 4-5 weeks.

The one in the bowl has a pullet sized tail. The other ones tail seems alot smaller, which in my opinion is a Roo characteristic.
But I am FAR from being an expert!

thank you i will take some more pics here in a min so you can could possibly tell me more...i also have 2 ee's, 2 rirs, 2 silver laced wyondottes, a black sex link that i know is a hen...an i have 2 that are silkie/rir cross...an a barred rock that is 1 week old..ill post pics an what i was told they are an about how old they are...

Back
Top Bottom