Barred Rock Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ACurtis076, Nov 11, 2012.

1. ACurtis076

ACurtis076 New Egg

Nov 11, 2012
    [​IMG]
    2 look exactly like this and are suppose to be hens

[​IMG]
    This one is supposed to be my rooster.

I got 3 Barred Rocks and was told I had 2 hens and a rooster, I'm new to raising chickens, I have a couple of Ida Reds and little Bantum Rooster. My wife liked the Bared Rocks so we got a couple and want to hatch a couple of eggs in the spring for the kids to experience. Just wondering if I was told the wrong thing. They should be laying age and I haven't started getting any more eggs than I was getting before, and from the combs and waddles I can't see a difference. Can anyone please tell me I didn't get taken and have all roosters here.

2. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Those look like roosters to me!

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, both those birds are roosters. So is that top bird one of yours? You said your two look like that. Can you post a pic of your actual birds?

You can also look at your birds and see if you note the stringy hackle/neck feathers and saddle feather's in front of the tail. BR roosters also have more white in the barring then the hens do.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No eggs from those birds, sorry.

5. Crafty-Duck

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    That happened to me too! my first two barred rocks turned out to be roosters [​IMG] I hate when that happens!!!!

6. ACurtis076

ACurtis076 New Egg

Nov 11, 2012
    These are pics of 2 of mine, the top pic is of one, but I have 2 that look exactly the same, the bottom one is the only one I have that looks different. I was worried that I had 3 roosters here and it sounds like I do.

7. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Not only are they both roosters, but that top one has more colors than black and white - looks like he's a mixed breed

8. Crafty-Duck

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    I was thinking the same thing (Mixed Breed) barred rocks don't have brown in them.

9. ACurtis076

ACurtis076 New Egg

Nov 11, 2012
    Thanks everyone, that's what I was worried about. I wasn't sure because they looked so different and I have no experience with them, but the longer I've had them the more I suspected they were all roosters. Well hopefully this spring I can get a couple more hens to add to what I've got. Thanks again everyone.

10. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    top looks like a black sexlink roo the bottom looks like a barred rock roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by