Barred Rock, RIR and Polish Cross Roos. Who to keep?

sunshine4jt

Chirping
5 Years
May 8, 2017
I have 5 older hens (RIR, white leghorn, buff orpington, golden laced wyandotte) all from kids 4h projects. This year in a similar fashion we aquired 8 new chicks. They are now right at 8 weeks old and I'm pretty positive 3 of them are roos (2 for sure) . I have a RIR, barred rock, and looks to be a golden laced polish mix roo. The other chicks are 3 barred rock pullets, 1 RIR pullet and a white crossbreed of sorts I'm pretty sure is a pullet easter egger. The kids want to keep the roosters but I already know 10 hens isn't going to be enough for 3! My chickens free range our farm during the day and are in a covered pen with a hen house at night. The barred rock roo has already taken the lead and gathers the chicks every night for bed. He whistles and they all come to him! (Even the other roos!) However, the Polish cross is the friendliest and doesn't mind being picked up and is the only chick that will come to me. My question is with 3 kids, a dog and 10 hens, which roo is the best suited for my flock? I don't want them fighting and I certainly don't want them chasing my kids! Are some breeds better temperments than others? What age will they start getting aggressive? Pics of my roos attatched!

Attachments

• 20220609_203612.jpg
    20220609_203612.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220609_203333.jpg
    20220609_203333.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I have 5 older hens (RIR, white leghorn, buff orpington, golden laced wyandotte) all from kids 4h projects. This year in a similar fashion we aquired 8 new chicks. Theyvare niw right at 8 weeks old and I'm pretty positive 3 of them are roos (2 for sure) . I have a RIR roo, barred rock roo, and looks to be a golden laced polish mix roo. The other chicks are 3 barred rock pullets, 1 RIR pullet and a white crossbreed of sorts in pretty sure is a pullet easter egger. The kids want to keep the roosters but I already know 10 hens isn't going to be enough for 3! My chickens free range our farm during the day and are in a covered pen with a hen house at night. The barred rock roo has already taken the lead and gathers the chicks every night for bed. He whistles and they all come to him! (Even the other roos!) However, the Polish cross is the friendliest and doesn't mind being picked up and is the only chick that will come to me. My question is with 3 kids, a dog and 10 hens, which roo is the best suited for my flock? I don't want them fighting and I certainly don't want them chasing my kids! Are some breeds better temperments than others? What age will they start getting aggressive? Pics of my roos attatched!
My advice, watch how they act. The roo you want is the roo that is both good with the hens, and Ok with you. Remember, the roo is your flock's protector and leader. It's OK for them to be your best friend to but if your options are a roo that's mean to you but good to hens, a roo that is OK being around you, and good with you, a roo that is bad to both, or a roo that's great with both, or roo that is great with you but bad with hens, you want the one that is great with both, or the one that's great with the hens, and tolerates you.

Sorry about all
My advice, watch how they act. The roo you want is the roo that is both good with the hens, and Ok with you. Remember, the roo is your flock's protector and leader. It's OK for them to be your best friend to but if your options are a roo that's mean to you but good to hens, a roo that is OK being around you, and good with you, a roo that is bad to both, or a roo that's great with both, or roo that is great with you but bad with hens, you want the one that is great with both, or the one that's great with the hens, and tolerates you.
Sorry about all the typos! I hope I went back and fixed them! In your opinion is one breed typically better suited than others? I know there are outliers in each situation but you always hear of evil roosters who chased grandma as a kid ending up in the Sunday dinner pot! Lol. Trying to avoid heartbreak for the kids before that happens!

Sorry about all

Sorry about all the typos! I hope I went back and fixed them! In your opinion is one breed typically better suited than others? I know there are outliers in each situation but you always hear of evil roosters who chased grandma as a kid ending up in the Sunday dinner pot! Lol. Trying to avoid heartbreak for the kids before that happens!
I have experience with all those breeds. Out of My personal roos, the polish is the best, followed closely by the barred rock, with the rir coming in dead last. But those breeds are known for docile roosters so it depends on the individual roo.

Back
Top Bottom