Barred rock, roo or hen? UPDATE!!

Quote:
Now this one is a cockerel. THere's more to it than comb size folks. Hackle, saddle & sickle feathers tell much more in young birds. I'll bet my house cat & my cowboy hat the first one's a pullet.

It's possible that this is a pullet with lighter than normal coloring and a larger than normal for her age comb. Sexing rules are not 100% and then there are the saddle feathers-the first one doesn't appear to have them yet, which would be a bit late for a cockerel. I did have one almost that age that was a very late blooming cockerel, but sure, it's possible it's a pullet, just a very "butch" pullet.

Last edited:
Take that first bird in question, part the feathers in the saddle area of the back and check underneath for some thinner, shiny feathers coming in. Sometimes, with a confusing cockerel, that will be a good indication. To me, except for saddle feathers I cant see, that is a cockerel. Could be a pullet, but I dont think so. As with all things, time will tell!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks I will check! The second photo, the darker one crowed this morning. We have now officially changed her name from Rosie to Reo, short for Oreo because he is more dark than light.

The mothers of these chickens were from a hatchery so I think that these utility birds most likely won't hit standard for coloring so I am not sure it is an accurate way to judge.

Part of me hopes that my Henry (the light one) is a roo becauswe he's got the good genes, lol. Another part of me hopes hen so that I don't have yo get rid of any of them.

We'll see soon enough! Thanks ya'll for your advice!

Lara

Let us know when you're sure, Lara. If that's a pullet, it wont be the first time I've been wrong, LOL. Sexing does have some rules, but the birds dont always read the book.

Then, as you said, sometimes hatchery stock muddies the waters a bit. I have one hen who has the most ghosty, uneven barring. She looks much more like a Marans except for her yellow legs.

Last edited:
hi i have the one in the other thread on message number 10. i didn't want mine to be a roo but most of you said it was. today it crowed and crowed. trying to at least, very funny. young boy with his voice cracking.

Back
Top Bottom