Barred rock roo or hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lm84, Dec 15, 2014.

1. lm84

lm84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    New Jersey
    These are my first chickrns, so forgive me if it's obvious...but I cannot tell if this 19 week old barred rock is a rooster or a hen. I have a group of 12 hens that are 25 weeks and this one and 4 other "hens" were added a few weeks later and just integrating into the group. They won't even leave the coop when the original 12 are out in the run. This one has always been a little aggressive, and drew blood twice grabbing my hand when I was reaching down for something. But no crowing or other obvious behaviors. I just don't remember how my barred rock hen developed so I can't really compared them. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I believe you have a cockerel there. The feathers near the tail look to be pointed downward a little bit which is one sign, and the tail looks like it's getting a nice swoop which is another sign to look for. Sometimes you can look for a spur nub, but that is not always as helpful.

My best clues are the comb/wattle development and the saddle feathers.

3. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    As for integrating: Did you have a meet, but no touch between the two groups? If not you may want to consider it for a while. I also find I have the best luck integrating a group at night. They seem to wake up and just kind of accept the fact that the others must have already been there.

Now for his grabbing of your hand. Do not allow that. You don't want an aggressive rooster that you can't do as you wish around. If he continues that kind of behavior I would consider culling him. If you really want a rooster then you can try for another one later.

4. lm84

Dec 3, 2013
    New Jersey
    I noticed the swooping of the tail feathers too, but I can't recall if my barred rock female had a swoop look to her tail until she fattened up and fluffed out. Technically the 5 were all from Mypetchicken.com and should all be females. I wasn't looking to get any roosters, but I can keep one if I wanted to.

The 5 chicks including this barred rock were put into the coop at 4-5 weeks old in a separate pen so they could all be together but not get at each other. We finally took the pen out when they were close enough in size and there was a lot of pecking and chasing, but no injuries and within a few days everyone was mingling happily in the coop together. The 5 new ones just won't go outside, they refuse, and if I put them out they just run back in.

5. lm84

Dec 3, 2013
    New Jersey
    Is there anything I can do about the biting? I mean, I can pick him/her up just fine, but every once in a while it just bites at your hand. I don't know if it's just food related as my hens will also peck when they think I have food in my hands too. This one is the only one that has actually drew blood though. Is there something I should do when/if it happens again that will stop him or teach him not to or are roosters not really "teachable."

6. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think it all depends on each individual rooster. You could try feeding him some snacks to let him get more comfortable with you. Sometimes I pick up my young rooster and hold him a few minutes. He doesn't seem to mind much. The two I have now are pretty decent with no pecking and no charging. I had one last year that stalked me from behind and would attack any chance he got...he went to camp grill out.

If you want to keep him I say go for it. He's young enough to hopefully mold :) If he's aggressive as he gets older I would replace him.

Hope it all works out for you!

7. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Looks like a cockerel.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A cockerel of somewhat mixed parentage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by