Barred Rock rooster X Production Red hen???

Love2read

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
My rooster is a Barred Rock and his hens are Barred Rock and Production Reds. I was curious what kinda of chicks would be produced from the Production Red girls? Would they all be sex-able from day 1?

My rooster is a Barred Rock and his hens are Barred Rock and Production Reds. I was curious what kinda of chicks would be produced from the Production Red girls? Would they all be sex-able from day 1?

All will be barred the head spot sexing method will more than likely be a blur as the BR over the PR will yield cuckoo patterned (heterozygous/single barred) off spring.

Jeff

What do you mean by cuckoo-patterned? So PR is recessive and BR is dominant?

I tried looking up some pics, but couldn't find any that helped. :/ Does anyone happen to have any pics of F1 BR/PR crosses? I did see a couple neat-looking ones that were listed as Red/BR crosses and they were red with barred patches. I wasn't sure if those were from multiple generations of breeding though or if they were F1.

None of your birds will be sex linked, sorry.

You'll get all barred birds, mostly black with red leakage. You may get some red barred birds, but the black usually trumps the red.

A pure barred rooster will have all barred offspring.

Aw, bummer! Although, I wouldn't mind some of those barred Red ones or Barred black with red leakage. :) Can you tell from day 1 which ones will have red leakage or does that not show until their feathers come in?

I'm not hatching any of my eggs at the moment, but have someone interested in some for hatching, so it made me curious what they would have. I might hatch some next year once my bantams are full grown and I can sneak a couple extra eggs under any broody girls. ;)

You can't see the red usually until they feather in. Males tend to get more leakage as they get older, hens not so much.

I have a question. I THINK this guy is a barred rock mix (please correct me if I am mistaken), he has bright yellow feet, and I have hens that are gold sexlinks, BJGs, EEs, and white cochins. Will most of the offspring have black barring? I like variety and I may get a EE roo if this guy will only make black barred offspring. Here also is a video of him (
)

Last edited:

Hey. I know this is a super old thread but it's the only thing that came up searching the topic on google. I was wondering if you ever hatched any of the eggs?

I bought some eggs from a guy that are crossed just this way and they started hatching 2 nights ago. They are split about 50/50 between black feathering or yellow. I was curious what they are going to look like as they grow out.

Thanks!

Hey. I know this is a super old thread but it's the only thing that came up searching the topic on google. I was wondering if you ever hatched any of the eggs?

I bought some eggs from a guy that are crossed just this way and they started hatching 2 nights ago. They are split about 50/50 between black feathering or yellow. I was curious what they are going to look like as they grow out.

Thanks!
Have your Chickens grown? I am getting a Barred Rock Rooster and I plan on Breeding him with my Production Reds. How'd yours turn out? What's the Egg Production and Egg Size like? Thank you.

Have your Chickens grown? I am getting a Barred Rock Rooster and I plan on Breeding him with my Production Reds. How'd yours turn out? What's the Egg Production and Egg Size like? Thank you.

I was amazed at all the different varieties we got from that pairing. Out of the 18, 10 were roosters and 8 hens. They are about 20-22 weeks old now and we are getting 3-5 eggs a day. The eggs are still a little small but I’m assuming they will get bigger once they mature.

Back
Top Bottom