Barred Rock Roosters?

Are these Barred Rock Roosters or Hens?

• Rooster

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Hen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thank you! The poultry swap had all kinds of birds and it wouldn't surprise me if they had all kinds of breeds.

Is the leg feathering and five toes a sign that they are roosters? I thought the toe was an emerging spur but I'm still new enought to roosters that it's hard for me to tell. Meanwhile, my six-year-old son was confident from a few weeks ago, somehow : )
No, fifth toe has nothing to do with gender. It's found in a few different breeds, & it's caused by the polydactly mutation which is dominant. Leg feathering has nothing to do with gender either.

Is the leg feathering and five toes a sign that they are roosters? I thought the toe was an emerging spur but I'm still new enought to roosters that it's hard for me to tell. Meanwhile, my six-year-old son was confident from a few weeks ago, somehow : )
Leg feathering exists on both females and males, there is no reason why it wouldn't. Some breeds have five toes, such as Silkies, Dorkings and Faverolles, due to genetics, and both genders of the breed have five toes. All genders and ages of chickens have spurs or spur nubs that will eventually develop as they grow older; the pullets and hens can even have spurs as long as a cockerel's or rooster's spur length. If you have any more questions about sexing or breeds, be sure to ask!

Back
Top Bottom