1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock started laying white eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cjpines, Oct 24, 2014.

1. cjpines

cjpines Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    I have an 8 month old Barred Rock hen. She's been laying brown and now started to white eggs.

Does a diet make a difference. I give them veggies, fruit, kale and spinach, scratch and some noodles.

Could a molt cause this? Our flock of 4 have slowed down laying.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm047 is a nice article on factors affecting brown egg color... stress and disease seem to be the big two, though as the hen gets further along in the laying cycle the brown hue does normally lighten gradually if it hasn't been sudden..

3. cjpines

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    Thank you. But my one chicken has no stress or disease or anything that pertains to this article.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you feeding a balanced chicken chow of some sort? Vitamins and minerals in these mixes can be vital.
    What's their overall protein levels?

5. cjpines

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds that you have ruled out stresses and vitamin deficiencies. Are the eggs really white or even a little darker compared to pure white? I would be concerned if truly white. My BR had darker eggs at first, but as the eggs got larger, just light brown to a pink color. Larger eggs "dilute" the pigment.

I did see all 6 of my brown egg layers' eggs get very light once when I changed their feed. Went back to normal color when I switched back. Could it be a variance in the lot # of the feed and not all are as sensitive to the effect? Is the Barred Rock Hen smaller than average, getting her fair share of feed?

It is my understanding that greens, marigolds, etc. only effect the yolk color.

7. cjpines

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    She is one of the larger hens and the one who eats the most. She aggressive when it comes to food and veggies, greens, fruit, etc. Don't know about the lot number, good question. Will check the lot number next time, but for now I have an unopen 50lb bag of layer to feed them.
    Her eggs are not completely white, but a little hue of tan.

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds like a great gal. I don't recall the resource, but when I searched for why my eggs were getting lighter, among reputable sources, if not ill or stressed would attribute it to the feed change or just that the pigment added to the shell can vary.

One more thought. When my 3 Barrs started laying, eggs were shiny and darker. With a few months of laying, eggs looked more matte like my BO's and a little lighter. If yours were shiny = poor bloom and are lighter and dull, maybe she's adding a better bloom.

I treat mine with cooked egg, green leafy things, and raisins once a day. I think the raisins give a little iron to help with color?

I read that egg shell pigment which is always added over white can be deeper in the shell or more superficial. And if more superficial can be wiped off. I know this happens if I wash my eggs. Also, some get lighter or darker in refrigeration.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

10. cjpines

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    No, mine are never shinny. I do feed raisins. The only change in food that I did for a very short time, a week or so, was put them back on grower/raiser more protein thinking they were in molt. I put them back on layer thinking that may have been the cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by