Barred rock versus white rock

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mbracht, Aug 10, 2013.

1. mbracht

mbracht New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Hi,
    I would like to cross some type of "rock" hen with my dark cornish roosters. Does anyone know which would be the better cross in terms of meat quantity and quality and also rate of maturity? Also do you know if the white rocks will come out white? My white giant crosses were all black.

Thanks!

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Barred and white rocks are basically the same thing. However, white rocks are usually crossed for meat production. The color of the offspring depends on the genetics of the parent breeds.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

White rocks usually have more size than barred rocks, unless you have a good strain of the BPR. Many breeders of the Barred Variety use the whites to increase the size.

The whites don't have the pesky pin feathers on the plucked carcass.. well they do, but you can't see them like you can on the barred..

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Barred hens should give you sex linked chicks, if that's a consideration.

I think the white rocks are larger, little bit.

I've heard some white Rocks have dominant white, some are silver. And some of the dominant white birds, the white is masking barring. I think they're a mystery until you start breeding them.

5. mbracht

mbracht New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks for all the great information. I think I will go with the white rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by