Barred rock vs cuckoo maran

If the marans your cockerel came from where cuckoo with some gold cuckoo mixed in that would explain your white boy. There is still soo much mixed in the gold's that you do get some strange colors. I had one that looked very much like your boy and he was 100% marans. He is a very handsome young man.
wink.png

49849_dsc05194.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Depending on where you got them, some hatchery Marans and the Barred Rocks have the wrong leg color. One of mine did.

Yeah, I saw that leg color had been discussed and they were asking about the white cockerel now so I changed my posting.
big_smile.png

Edited to add:

If your bird from the hatchery had the wrong leg color I can only assume it was not pure to that particular breed as many hatchery are known for crossing. They probably mixed there marans and rocks together.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Depending on where you got them, some hatchery Marans and the Barred Rocks have the wrong leg color. One of mine did.

Yeah, I saw that leg color had been discussed and they were asking about the white cockerel now so I changed my posting.
big_smile.png

Your boy is very pretty!

Quote:
big_smile.png

Your boy is very pretty!

Thank you. I didn't keep him though as I was going for just the gold's from the hatch to continue with. Taking him out of the flock when I hatched no other offspring came out that color.

Quote:
Wow yours does look alot like mine! It doesn't really matter to me if mine is full marans or not, its means more to me that I have 2 more marans hens than I thought I did;)
wee.gif
Thank you all so much!

Last edited:
What about light yellow legs? I thought I had two marans, but they are laying light brown eggs (huge disappointment right) they are also mean.

28956_img_20110920_155952.jpg

28956_img_20110822_164229.jpg

can young marans lay light brown eggs and eventually lay dark brown????

Are those current photos? Their combs are not very developed at all to already be laying. My marans have the full bright red combs, and they started out with dark eggs.

That is not a cuckoo marans, or at least not a pure breed. If the pic is of the marans in question that is already laying the comb should be much larger by now. True Marans do not have yellow legs I would guess cross breed, possible dominecker cross???

Most marans may have their first egg or two a tad lighter than they will be on average but no, if they are light brown they will never get dark dark sorry.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom