Barred Rock vs. Dominique

I know BR has a single comb while the Domineque will have a rose comb. I think maybe there is a leg thing too.....some one will chime in on that I am sure
smile.png

Barred Rock single comb, Dominique rose comb. Also the pattern isn't the same Barred Rocks are barred-obviously. Dominiques are cuckoo.

NYREDS is right but I thought it might be fair to say, to someone who has to ask, that a quick glance and most people don't know barred from cuckoo until they're shown the difference with either birds or feathers next to one another.

Barring is clearer, more defined. Cuckoo pattern is fuzzy edged and blurs together more. But I could throw a half dozen barred birds in a group of poultry people and have more than half call them "domineckers" or some version of the word dominique or cuckoo-colored. Or tell me it's the same thing...

So the confusion is honest, when many, many people don't know.

Yeah I guess I wasn't noticing that difference in the pattern. I have 3 Dominiques but every time I see a picture of a barred rock I'm stuck thinking they look an awful lot alike. Thanks for your replies, they were very helpful!

Completely different combs & plummage as mentioned. Also, completely different body shapes, proportions & weight. Definitely not synonymous. They are two completely different breeds.

You should be able to differentiate the two breeds from 100 yards away. Incidentally, the Dominique is the oldest American breed.

according to randell burkey a barred rock is the cross of dominique and a black java, or cochin,

Aside from the difference in physical appearance, I wonder about how they are different for personality and characteristics. I am thinking about getting a Dominique. Unfortunately one of my BR was eaten by a dog, and I'm thinking of a Dominique to keep my remaining BR company in the black & white chicken category. My BR tends to get picked on, and I don't want to get her a Dominque buddy if the Dominque is likely to be domineering!

Any insights? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom