Barred Rock vs. Dominique

I just found out that my BR is actually a Dominique. She is quite sweet and friendly. If you do get a Dominique she will be smaller than your BR. Funny now that I know the difference, I can see why I thought she might be a Roo early on. It's those long feathers!!!

Liz

Dominique's are small shy chickens. They should have flatter wattles and rose combs. The hens weight 5 to 5.5 lbs. Cocks weight 7lbs. My Dominique's were being picked on by my BO Roo. Now they have the own coop. The male has tall tail feathers. A good breed of Doms are supposed to have eye at the end of the feather. Ryan

Last edited:
I will have to disagree with some of the earlier posts, the size, barring, appearance, etc depends on how well they are bred and where they came from. I got this roo at the bottom from Bob Berry (bobsdiddies),who specializes in Barred Rocks, and he has the best barring I have ever seen in person( it looks better in person), even better than the Barred Rocks I've seen. Not cuckoo at all. And he's bigger than most Barred Rocks and has great conformity as to what the breed should be.

( the spike on his comb was dubbed, my aunt has him now.)

37373_100_4437.jpg

Quote:
If he's bigger than most Barred Rocks & is Barred not Cuckoo he does NOT have great conformity as to what the breed should be. Dominiques should be Cuckoo & smaller than Rocks.

Quote:
If he's bigger than most Barred Rocks & is Barred not Cuckoo he does NOT have great conformity as to what the breed should be. Dominiques should be Cuckoo & smaller than Rocks.

He has very clean CUCKOO barring - not parallel barred feathers, see they're not straight lines but Vs? Very nice.

Since most barred rocks are hatchery rocks it's not surprising you've not seen cleaner barring than his in most places. Here even at shows if no one shows up with show quality stock, only basically barred hatchery stock wins. Locally we only get very good whites - which sucks.

If he's bigger than the Barred Rocks you've seen then they weren't up to Standard or your bird was OVER standard for size - not a DQ certainly but if the Standard is the goal... that's up to you, America does tend toward a bigger is better theory. You can make GIANT Dominiques. Like some people are shooting for Giant Cochins.

Outside of the breed standard, is by definition, not great conformity to breed standard, though if that were his only fault, I'd use him and show smaller sons. Since you passed him on that point is moot. But in theory...

What he is is very clearly cuckooed. Very nice example of good feather type.

This is really helpful, I think I have a Barred Rock, she is almost 8 weeks old.
Is that old enough to be sure about the characteristics? I think she has a single comb but she is one of my first chicks. She is much smaller than the other two, which I think are NH Red and White Wyandotte. They are all gorgeous.

Dominique and BR look almost alike the difference is as been said the Dominique has a "rose" comb and the BR has a single comb also the legs Dominique has orange legs and the BR has yellow legs.

Back
Top Bottom