Barred Rock vs. Dominique

I have Dominique's hatched from eggs..they are very very friendly, the rooster can be protective of his girls around kids and strangers...over all very gentle birds

hope this helps you .

4 Dominique hens 3 white leghorns, 5 buff Orps, 2 star sexlinks,12 golden comets, 1 black Lab, 1 lab mix
a Beautiful wife who puts up with them all...life is good....Thank you Jesus
big_smile.png

hmm.png
My husband bought a rooster and two hens that are supposed to be Dominiqes. He also bought a group of six chicks that are supposed to be three BR and three Dominique hens. The problem I am having is this--the two older hens and the three younger hens are all supposed to be the same. They are not alike. The three younger hens are smaller and although they all have rose combs the combs are not identical. How do I know which hens are the true Doms? Is it possible that none of them are purebred? Any suggestions?

hmm.png
My husband bought a rooster and two hens that are supposed to be Dominiqes. He also bought a group of six chicks that are supposed to be three BR and three Dominique hens. The problem I am having is this--the two older hens and the three younger hens are all supposed to be the same. They are not alike. The three younger hens are smaller and although they all have rose combs the combs are not identical. How do I know which hens are the true Doms? Is it possible that none of them are purebred? Any suggestions?

This might help:
http://dominiquechicken.com/Dominiques_and_Barred_Rocks.html

Barred rocks were developed from dominiques, from what I understand. Rocks are also supposed to have bars (clear bands) on their feathers rather than a more mottled/cucko pattern. Rocks have a single comb and doms a rose. Rocks are bigger and generally lay bigger and more eggs than doms, too.

We've got one of each and while I love the rock, I really love the dom. She's just wiley, figures things out...gets into everything, and is extremely calm and personable with people she knows as well as strangers. All around friendly bugger and a great layer, so far.SUBMIT

hmm.png
Okay, so now I am really confused. I don't think any of my birds are true Dominiques now. The only thing they have right is the rose comb!

I can say this I got two Dominques the first week in March, I then decided a month and a half later I wanted to get 2 Rhode Island Reds. Where most people probably would have waited for the Reds to get a little bit bigger I took them all outside and from that point they slept together. I don't know if its that way with all but I couldn't stand them trying to get out just so they could be together. Now of course I kept an eye on them and the first couple of nights I had them inside with me so if something were to happen I could get to them quicker. I got the Reds to protect the Dominques because they are just a bigger bird, but at the end of the week I could barely touch the Reds because the Dominques didn't want me picking them up. If you need protection and you can house it I always say best to have atleast 4-6 chickens, mix the height, weight, and the coloring it helps throw of some prey and they will all flock and chase off the small prey they have. I haven't lost a chick or chicken yet.

Although I dont reccomend doing this with all your birds, if you choose to you have to make sure that they are fully supervised and sometimes its just best to do little bits at a time until they get older

Dominiques originally came in both rose comb and single comb varieties. A poultry show decided that only medium sized rose comb birds could be considered Dominiques. Suddenly a great many Dominique breeders discovered they now had Barred Rocks. Barred Rocks are bred for a very distinct, regular, and even barring. Dominique barring is less regular, and the bars are irregularly shaped. Dominiques have a high, gamey stance; Barred Rocks are more parallel to the ground.

Other breeds - Javas and possibly some ancestral versions of the Cochin - were crossed in with the Barred Rocks to change their shape and alter other characteristics. It is important to know that for many years Javas and Cochins were shown in the same class in the US, and which was which was a matter of opinion since the early Cochins had far less leg feathering - or feathers in general - than the modern bird. If you get a chance, look for pictures of the early imports given to Queen Victoria - they look nothing like the modern birds.

I have 1 Dominique about 4 months old and she is very docile and gets along with all the other hens. She loves to be picked up and petted and will even sit in your lap.
She laid her first little egg yesterday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom