Barred Rock ?

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
This is a pretty basic question,,,,but. If I put a barred Rock roo over a blue rock or black rock hen will I get all sex linked chicks? And if so which will the females be? I think I know the answer, but I want to make sure. Thanks

I am curious about too as well as over white rock hens...
pop.gif

Quote:
Nope,
The Barred Rock would have to be a Hen in order to create a sex-link...

A Barred Rock Rooster over a Blue Hen would give you Blue Barred and Black Barred,
A Barred Rock Rooster over a Black Hen would give you Black Barred..

Chris

Quote:
Nope,
The Barred Rock would have to be a Hen in order to create a sex-link...

A Barred Rock Rooster over a Blue Hen would give you Blue Barred and Black Barred,
A Barred Rock Rooster over a Black Hen would give you Black Barred..

Chris

Yep what Chris said and I also wanted to add that the Barred males will be heterozygous barred so they will be the same dark color as the females, so they wont be as easy to sex as Barred Rocks normally are.

Quote:
And for your question it is the same, the hens would have to be barred to get sexlinks. But with yours being white Rocks, as long as you have a barred rooster you should get barred chicks either way, but with White Rocks, its hard to know what they are masking, they would be black, barred, and a few other colors, but like I said, in this case your barred roo is the deciding factor so you should get barred chicks regardless. Unless the hens happended to have dominant white, which I dont think Rocks do, but if they did, you chicks would be white with black dots.

I freely admit that I know nothing about breeding chickens, and what genes are dominant, nor do I plan on breeding any birds for a few years. I have too many as it is! Genetics interest me, and I like reading this stuff, and one day I would like to hatch out my own birds.

So, do I have this right: in order to get chicks with barring, the rooster has to be barred? How might the chick look if I bred a partridge cochin roo to a Barred Rock hen? Although mixing the cochin roo with an egger hen is sorely tempting. They would be so fuzzy!

Back
Top Bottom