Barred Rocks has cloudy eye and other chickens are attacking her!

ErinS

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
Our 8 month old Barred rocks was being attacked by another chicken (a Wellsummer-same age) which was a new and disturbing behavior. We have sectioned off a portion of the coop to separate them. Our coop is contained in an old dog kennel and is well ventilated, but warm and we use pine shavings for bedding. The Barred Rocks is now using a plastic dog kennel with a box for a nesting box and has her own food and water.
I noticed after separating the one that her eye is a bit cloudy. She seems to be able to see out of it alright, but it made me wonder if she is sick and that may be why the others are attacking her? Also, I cannot find anywhere what may cause this symptom; she had the regular vaccinations before we received her, and I'd prefer not to have to go to the vet if possible.
Finally, if her eye does improve, I am wondering about reintroduction. The hens can all still see each other, but the one is just separate and out of harm's way. She is having some difficulty adjusting to being alone, but it's better than being pecked to death. I am hoping that we can put her back with the flock if her eye improves, but am in search of tips and suggestions for how to go about this without putting her back into a dangerous situation.
Thank you!
Erin

How long have they been seperated already? Her cloudy eye could be caused from a previous injury. Is there any way to put 1 other hen with her that she would get along with? If you can put 1 hen with her you can keep them seperated for a long time if it will keep the peace and keep her happy.

They have been separated for 2 days now (today is the second day). We only have 3 birds; the one who was attacking her is a Wellsummer and the other a Golden Comet. The only thing I am worried about is that the Golden may be just as bad-she is fairly aggressive with people. Do you think it might be better if I separate the one who was attacking and leave the injured one with the other, separating the two top birds in the pecking order?

is it acting funny in any way? because Mareks disease can present with a grey eye or irregular shaped iris. is she limping at all?

Back
Top Bottom