Barred rocks not laying??? whats the deal

pupmom10

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
PA
we have 5 BR that we think are about 2 years old, we got them 2 weeks ago. we are wondering when they might start laying. we understand that its a new surrounding here, they were free rangers now they are in our new and improved chicken paradise, as we call it. a huge run! with a outdoor coop that they tend to go in at night,the others RIR and bantys go inside....

what do you thinks going on, are they still confused? when do you think we can find some eggs from these girls any tricks???

Sometimes it will take as much as a month for them to lay. Did you isolate them from your other hens for a month? I sure hope that they are nice and healthy and give you lots of eggs. Jean

Because of the stress related to moving them you may not see eggs for awhile.That said, I have two barred rocks that stop laying around october/november and do not start again until late march/april so it really depends on where you are at. With my birds,I have noticed a marked decrease in production during winter or any time they are stressed and a gradual increase (1 egg every 2 to 3 days) as the weather warmed/ or they become adjusted to their surroundings. It really depends on the age of the bird in question and their molting/laying cycle. Barred rock's are usually very good layers of large or even xtra large eggs for a good portion of the year.Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom