Barred rocks

desertgirl

Roo Magnet
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Albuquerque,NM
Getting ready for the arrival of some barred rocks to a local store on the 19th. I think I remember someone saying that the females tend to be darker than the males as chicks (with so much great advice on here, it is hard to remember where I read that!
tongue.png
).

I tried to search, but haven't found it...help?
smile.png

I'm wondering the exact same thing (on how to sex BR chicks). I've read various articles online and know about the head spot, leg color, body color, etc. but it's still so hard to tell without comparisons so if any of you can post more pics of Barred Rock chicks I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the feather color difference shows up till they're older.
At least, that's the way it was with my dominiques. (very similar to barred rocks.)
I read about the leg color method, but didn't keep track as they grew older. If I had leg bands, I could have tracked them to determine if it was accurate.
If I do straight-run dominiques again, I will band them.

I have 2 barred rock chicks... When we bought them they were supposed to be all hens.. The lady at the store said one "may" be a rooster.. I'm dying to know.. One of my Barred rock chicks has a bigger spot on it head.. and has the feathers starting to form on the tail.. the other barred rock has a very tiny spot on its head.. no feathers starting to form (they are all the same age.. about 1.5 weeks old)..

The chick with the tiny spot is the most social of all of them. When we go over to the brooder.. it runs over to see us.. none of the others do that.. but the other barred rock would be the 2nd to come over.. I'm wondering if the barred rocks are more social than other breeds? and the chick that runs over to see us.. is that just that its more social or b/c its just its personality?

We also have 2 easter eggers and 2 Buffs..

I bought RIR, Ameracuanas, and Barred Rock at the same time. My little BR's do let them selves (2 1/2 weeks old) be picked up a little easier than the rest.

Back
Top Bottom