Barred Rooster Combos

@Iluveggers , I have offspring from a cuckoo Easter Egger rooster (Easter egger X cuckoo Marans) and many hens in colors same as yours. But since your Easter Egger is pure for barring and mine is not, only 50% of his offspring are barred.
@NatJ , what phenotype color is this hen? The barring appears very pale red, and she is the only one of this color the cuckoo Easter egger rooster produced. Might iluveggers get some chicks in this color from her crosses?
20211204_132609~2.jpg

@NatJ , what phenotype color is this hen? The barring appears very pale red, and she is the only one of this color the cuckoo Easter egger rooster produced.
I'm not entirely sure.
Barring should be white bars across some color of feathers.

Maybe white barring on blue, splash, lavender, or some other such dilution gene (diluting parts that would otherwise be black).

Or maybe ghost barred? That's white barring on feathers that "should" be white anyway, but apparently they sometimes show faint gray or other colors between the white bars. (I forget if it's Dominant White or Silver that makes the "white" that sometimes shows the ghost barring pattern.) I've only seen photos, none in real life, but I think @MysteryChicken has some experience with ghost barring.

If the parts that look white in the photo are actually a pale red, maybe this is actually some pattern of other colors, with the red/gold being diluted to a very light shade. Colors like Gold Penciled Hamburgs look like they are barred in black & gold, but it is not caused by a combination of other genes and not the barring gene we are expecting here.

Might iluveggers get some chicks in this color from her crosses?
Depending on what genes are present in which of the chickens involved, yes that might be a possibility too.

No matter what genes make up that color, she's definitely pretty :)

I'm not entirely sure.
Barring should be white bars across some color of feathers.

Maybe white barring on blue, splash, lavender, or some other such dilution gene (diluting parts that would otherwise be black).

Or maybe ghost barred? That's white barring on feathers that "should" be white anyway, but apparently they sometimes show faint gray or other colors between the white bars. (I forget if it's Dominant White or Silver that makes the "white" that sometimes shows the ghost barring pattern.) I've only seen photos, none in real life, but I think @MysteryChicken has some experience with ghost barring.

If the parts that look white in the photo are actually a pale red, maybe this is actually some pattern of other colors, with the red/gold being diluted to a very light shade. Colors like Gold Penciled Hamburgs look like they are barred in black & gold, but it is not caused by a combination of other genes and not the barring gene we are expecting here.

Depending on what genes are present in which of the chickens involved, yes that might be a possibility too.

No matter what genes make up that color, she's definitely pretty :)
My ghost barred bird wasn't Barred, but partly Red Laced.

Barring gene can cause brown bars, rather then white bars depending on genes.
20220127_120200.jpg
20220128_145922.jpg

Thank you @NatJ for all your detailed info. And thank you @MysteryChicken for your info and photos too! If ya'll cant identify her color, then I guess I will never know. I never gave her a name, but after yall's input, her name is now Mystery.😊

@Iluveggers , I too have always treated my Easter Eggers like a Forest Gump box of chocolates; mix em all up together and see what egg and feather colors I get! In fact, I mixed them up so much that I grew concerned I might have lost the blue egg gene from many of the EE roosters. So I sent feathers from 10 EE roosters with modified pea combs for DNA testing to determine if they were homozygous or heterozygous for the blue egg gene. (6 of the 10 tested homozygous for blue eggs, Yay!) I luv all egg colors, but definitely didn't want to lose the blues. I'm very interested to see what chick colors you get from your own "box of chocolates"!

Thank you @NatJ for all your detailed info. And thank you @MysteryChicken for your info and photos too! If ya'll cant identify her color, then I guess I will never know. I never gave her a name, but after yall's input, her name is now Mystery.😊

@Iluveggers , I too have always treated my Easter Eggers like a Forest Gump box of chocolates; mix em all up together and see what egg and feather colors I get! In fact, I mixed them up so much that I grew concerned I might have lost the blue egg gene from many of the EE roosters. So I sent feathers from 10 EE roosters with modified pea combs for DNA testing to determine if they were homozygous or heterozygous for the blue egg gene. (6 of the 10 tested homozygous for blue eggs, Yay!) I luv all egg colors, but definitely didn't want to lose the blues. I'm very interested to see what chick colors you get from your own "box of chocolates"!
Your lady, I forgot to look over. She looks lavender Barred/cuckoo. So the parents Each had a copy of lavender.

Here’s a few pics of the chicks so far. I want to get individual ones tomorrow or Tue once everyone is done hatching.
In this first pic, I know the baby in front with the feather legs is his, as he is the only chicken in that entire group with feathered legs.
B3434621-E3E9-4422-93A0-C9CCD97A53CF.jpeg
CF52E4B1-F739-4AD9-BA71-EC183D3C6E3B.jpeg 8F9BB7C2-0D33-4B58-AF00-46C71D5BFF0C.jpeg 50EBF069-739D-40C0-9A52-73777FC13130.jpeg 1ADBF88F-0C90-4EEB-A72B-ACF81FA91679.jpeg 9D8B135C-B641-4F8A-B43F-0BC94A022983.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom