Barring and Fm gene, can I get more black chickens from f1s?

So my roo must favor the barred hen, because this is the first yellow chick of his, he’s housed w three buff hens and a black barred hen that share eggs.
Knowing the Rooster's genetic makeup(Split for Wheaten E/eWh) and the mother being also being pure Wheaten based(eWh/eWh) you actually have a 50% chance of getting Yellow chicks.
50%? I thought the barring gene would change that. I was thinking maybe 25% solid black at most. 50% would be awesome!
83A3ADDA-728B-4A57-9A6C-11AA803122A7.jpeg
D7EF032A-2855-4F26-9900-E8A6716ADB35.jpeg
their parents being a solid Roo and barred hen made barred Roos and solid hens 50/50
I didn’t think a barred Roo breeding to a solid hen would make 50/50 black n barred because of the strong barring gene. I really don’t know genetics but I did a Punnett square and that showed 75%barred and 25% solid then I heard the barred gene would possibly lessen the 25% solids. Sorry I’m probably getting annoying lol

Your solid hens have non barred genes so they will pass non barred to offspring.
Your barred rooster has one barred gene and one non barred gene. It's a 50/50 chance which he will pass forward.

Yes, it does.
Wait, did you mean pure black by barred but with black skin?
I agree, it's going to be very hard to get a black skin/face barred birds due to the linkage of Sexlinked Dermal Inhibitor and Sexlinked Barring
How hard do you guys think it will be to get black skin barred birds? I have a few barred chicks that seem like they’ll have black combs. I’d love to have a fm barred flock and an all black flock to get sex linked fm chicks!

Back
Top Bottom