Basic biology question

janespromos

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
I know this is probably a stupid question, but how often does a hen need to be mated in order to produce fertilized eggs?

This wasn't an issue on our farm because we had plenty of roosters around, but I can only keep hens in our town, so I was wondering how often I should plan to take the girls to "visit" a friendly neighborhood stud. A couple blocks from me, one side of the street is town limits, so no roosters; opposite side is in the county, so people can have roosters.

Thanks!

Due to the high incidence of disease transference and the probability of them becoming ill even when you think the rooster is healthy, I would never advise a "stud service". Hens do not automatically submit to a rooster and will many times fight with a new man. It's way too risky mainly because of the disease factor.
To answer your question, it takes one proper mating for fertile eggs to show up about 2-3 days later and she will stay fertile for over two weeks. You'd be better off buying fertile eggs from someone.

I am posting not because I have anything to add to what Cyn said above, just to say that I agree with her 200% and you should LISTEN
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Being an "Independent Sort", IF I were you, I'd get my own rooster.

(I think it is doubtful that anyone would complain, since you have roosters right across the street!)

But, that's just the "Rebel" in me.
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Could you possibly buy some fertile eggs from those who have roosters? The hen will only sit on them if she has become broody. I don't know if you can force a hen to sit.
idunno.gif

Ya I asked that question a few weeks ago... I wanted to have a sleep over... I'm so glad I did not go through with it. My son said I was piping out my girls. eww
sickbyc.gif
. Comming form my 19 y/o
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom