basic chicken coop and run size for 4 birds

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
Ok it seems like breeding the standard size chickens, coop and run size would be 4’X 4’ = 16 sq. foot coop for say 4 birds ( 1 roo and 3 hens ) which would give the 4sq. ft per bird . plus an outside run size of 7’ X 6’ which would give the a minimum of 42 sq. Ft. of run ( which I have read that 10 sq. ft per bird ) would accommodate the min. requirements for 4 large stander chicken , Of course the large the better - but this will do by the standers so to speak....................................... YES .............OR ..........NO

Depending on the breed many roosters should be with more than 3 hens as they will service them too often and cause injuries to the hens.

now what about the bantan size chicken would 1/2 that would do for min. size for coop and maybe a bit larger then 1/2 the size for a run ..............maybe 2' x 4' coops and a 4' x 5' runs for a roo and 3 hens ...... which all coops would be at less 4' to 5' ft high and all runs would be at lease 5 -6' high

thanks again

getting my breeding pens and runs ready for next year bash and hatching eggs
cool.png

Alan

Quote:
2 or 3 hens and one rooster is common for breeding pens. The roo isn't usually with the hens for more than a couple months in the Spring breeding season. Long enough to get lots of fertile eggs, and then all get turned out together.
I think the OP was just wanting opinions on coop/pen sizes and not roo to hen ratio.

thanks every1
big_smile.png

and yes these coop/runs will only house the min. of 4 birds which are for breeding and selling pure breeds of hatching eggs , I will be building about 10 - 15 coops/ runs for these pure breeders , I all ready have a 12x 12 coop with a run 16 x 20 for my mix flock of chickens and these are just egglayer which I sell the eggs for eatting
lol.png

Alan

Back
Top Bottom