basic chicken coop and run size for 4 birds

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
Ok it seems like breeding the standard size chickens, coop and run size would be 4’X 4’ = 16 sq. foot coop for say 4 birds ( 1 roo and 3 hens ) which would give the 4sq. ft per bird . plus an outside run size of 7’ X 6’ which would give the a minimum of 42 sq. Ft. of run ( which I have read that 10 sq. ft per bird ) would accommodate the min. requirements for 4 large stander chicken , Of course the large the better - but this will do by the standers so to speak....................................... YES .............OR ..........NO

chickerdoodle

Songster
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Oregon
Depending on the breed many roosters should be with more than 3 hens as they will service them too often and cause injuries to the hens.

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
now what about the bantan size chicken would 1/2 that would do for min. size for coop and maybe a bit larger then 1/2 the size for a run ..............maybe 2' x 4' coops and a 4' x 5' runs for a roo and 3 hens ...... which all coops would be at less 4' to 5' ft high and all runs would be at lease 5 -6' high

thanks again

getting my breeding pens and runs ready for next year bash and hatching eggs
cool.png

Alan

tammyd57

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Central Valley, California
Quote:
2 or 3 hens and one rooster is common for breeding pens. The roo isn't usually with the hens for more than a couple months in the Spring breeding season. Long enough to get lots of fertile eggs, and then all get turned out together.
I think the OP was just wanting opinions on coop/pen sizes and not roo to hen ratio.

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
thanks every1
big_smile.png

and yes these coop/runs will only house the min. of 4 birds which are for breeding and selling pure breeds of hatching eggs , I will be building about 10 - 15 coops/ runs for these pure breeders , I all ready have a 12x 12 coop with a run 16 x 20 for my mix flock of chickens and these are just egglayer which I sell the eggs for eatting
lol.png

Alan

Top Bottom