basic chicken coop and run size for 4 birds

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DaKid, Jun 4, 2010.

1. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Ok it seems like breeding the standard size chickens, coop and run size would be 4’X 4’ = 16 sq. foot coop for say 4 birds ( 1 roo and 3 hens ) which would give the 4sq. ft per bird . plus an outside run size of 7’ X 6’ which would give the a minimum of 42 sq. Ft. of run ( which I have read that 10 sq. ft per bird ) would accommodate the min. requirements for 4 large stander chicken , Of course the large the better - but this will do by the standers so to speak....................................... YES .............OR ..........NO

2. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

YES

That would be the minimum requirement for sizes. Bigger is always better, but, yes, that would do for 4 standard size birds.

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Depending on the breed many roosters should be with more than 3 hens as they will service them too often and cause injuries to the hens.

4. DaKid

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    now what about the bantan size chicken would 1/2 that would do for min. size for coop and maybe a bit larger then 1/2 the size for a run ..............maybe 2' x 4' coops and a 4' x 5' runs for a roo and 3 hens ...... which all coops would be at less 4' to 5' ft high and all runs would be at lease 5 -6' high

thanks again

getting my breeding pens and runs ready for next year bash and hatching eggs [​IMG]

Alan

5. tammyd57

I would think that would be fine for bantams. Most bantams are less than half the size of standard size chickens.

6. tammyd57

Quote:2 or 3 hens and one rooster is common for breeding pens. The roo isn't usually with the hens for more than a couple months in the Spring breeding season. Long enough to get lots of fertile eggs, and then all get turned out together.
    I think the OP was just wanting opinions on coop/pen sizes and not roo to hen ratio.

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds good, but I'd suggest you prepare for enlarging the coop & run. Once the flock settles in you might find more space is needed.

8. DaKid

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    thanks every1 [​IMG]
    and yes these coop/runs will only house the min. of 4 birds which are for breeding and selling pure breeds of hatching eggs , I will be building about 10 - 15 coops/ runs for these pure breeders , I all ready have a 12x 12 coop with a run 16 x 20 for my mix flock of chickens and these are just egglayer which I sell the eggs for eatting [​IMG]

Alan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by