Basic layer feed recipe

All you're doing currently is possibly wasting oyster shell and diluting the nutrition of the layer you're buying. If you want to add corn to a feed, you need to buy a much higher protein feed. Corn is approximately 8% protein. In order to make a feed that is 25% corn, you'd want to use at least a 20% protein complete feed, that would make your overall ration 17% protein.

I've ran the numbers myself for completely formulating my own feed from local grains and a vitamin/mineral premix formulated for chickens and it comes out much more expensive than commercial feed. You have to have a LOT of mouths to feed in order to save by mixing yourself.

I didn't "play" with them when they where younger so now they are quite skittish of everything.... even the sparrows will land on them and they'll freak out.... I don't think she'd let me force feed her anything.. tho it would be comical watch someone try..
If you want to try and fix the issue, if possible, you could pen her separately. Could grind up a lot of eggshell and mix it into a warm mash, to try and up her calcium a bit on the daily, and also provide a bowl of oyster shell so that she has more calcium available overnight, if she'll eat it. I don't know if that would even work, honestly, but if I were in that situation and wanted to try, it's what I'd try first.

Of course, I'm also all for humanely ending too, if you feel the time is right. It's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom