Basic medication list

Emma_Bruffy

Songster
Aug 17, 2020
I dont currently have any sick chickens but I'd like to know a basic list of medications for chickens and a dosage for a 4 to 6 pound chicken.
Possibly for things like...
Coccidiosis
Respiratory infections
Physical wounds
Sour crop
I'll leave it at that so it's not too much to ask but just a basic list for the most common issues I may experience, I've only had chickens for about a year so everytime something happens I get worried and now I'll be able to just refer to this if I need too. Also if theres a medication that you do know that can cure something that i didnt list maybe you can share it too i just wanna be fully prepared if something happens

I can offer some helpful suggestions for your chicken first aid kit!

Coccidiosis
  • Corid (Amperolieum)
  • Albon (Sulfadimethoxine)
Respiratory diseases or infections
  • Tylan (Tylosin) 50 or 200
  • Liquamycin / LA-200 (Oxytetracycline)
  • Duramycin 72-200 (Oxytetracycline)
  • Denagard (Tiamulin)
  • VetRX
  • Penicillin
  • Baytril (Enrofloxacin)
Injuries/wounds, etc
  • Vetericyn Plus spray
  • Terramycin eye ointment
  • Smile's Prid (for Bumblefoot)
  • Rooster Booster: Pic-No-More Cover-up lotion
  • Vet Wrap
  • Blood Stopper powder
  • Hen Healer ointment
  • Skin Glue or absorbable sutures
Sour or Impaction of the Crop
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Vegetable Oil / Coconut Oil / Mineral Oil
  • Disposable Scalpel
  • Disposable Gloves
If you'd like more, just let me know! :) I can also add on things for intestinal or external parasites, other medical items or tools!

I can offer some helpful suggestions for your chicken first aid kit!

Coccidiosis
  • Corid (Amperolieum)
  • Albon (Sulfadimethoxine)
Respiratory diseases or infections
  • Tylan (Tylosin) 50 or 200
  • Liquamycin / LA-200 (Oxytetracycline)
  • Duramycin 72-200 (Oxytetracycline)
  • Denagard (Tiamulin)
  • VetRX
  • Penicillin
  • Baytril (Enrofloxacin)
Injuries/wounds, etc
  • Vetericyn Plus spray
  • Terramycin eye ointment
  • Smile's Prid (for Bumblefoot)
  • Rooster Booster: Pic-No-More Cover-up lotion
  • Vet Wrap
  • Blood Stopper powder
  • Hen Healer ointment
  • Skin Glue or absorbable sutures
Sour or Impaction of the Crop
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Vegetable Oil / Coconut Oil / Mineral Oil
  • Disposable Scalpel
  • Disposable Gloves
If you'd like more, just let me know! :) I can also add on things for intestinal or external parasites, other medical items or tools!
This is a good list, and sure maybe some parasite cures will be helpful this summer, thank you for this awesome list I'll definitely use if something happens.

I dont currently have any sick chickens but I'd like to know a basic list of medications for chickens and a dosage for a 4 to 6 pound chicken.
Possibly for things like...
Coccidiosis
Respiratory infections
Physical wounds
Sour crop
I'll leave it at that so it's not too much to ask but just a basic list for the most common issues I may experience, I've only had chickens for about a year so everytime something happens I get worried and now I'll be able to just refer to this if I need too. Also if theres a medication that you do know that can cure something that i didnt list maybe you can share it too i just wanna be fully prepared if something happens
It's always good to have a few things on hand.
Some stuff you may never use, so just buy what's in your budget.

Basic wound care items don't have to be fancy - you can source generic products at stores like the Dollar Tree if you have one in your area.
Triple Antibiotic Ointment (for wounds), Epsom Salts (for soaking hens and feet), Clotrimazole (for sour crop), vet wrap, vaseline, etc. can all be for for a couple of $ at dollar stores.

Coccidiosis is generally treated using Corid (Amprolium) which is found in the cattle section of stores like TSC. It can also be found online.

Respiratory infections - the best way to help avoid disease is to source chick from a reputable hatchery. Bringing in new birds from say a "breeder", craigslist or auctions increase your chances of introducing illness to your flock, imho. Better yet, keep a closed flock and hatch your own, keeping hens/pullets and or roosters you wish to keep, process and eat the ones that you don't.
IF you feel you MUST have an antibiotic on hand for respiratory disease like MG, then Tylan/Tylosin would be a good choice.

For wounds/injury and other infections - I would use Amoxicillin which can be ordered online.

Having some vitamins on hand is a good idea. For a good basic all around poultry vitamin I prefer Poultry Cell.

Sour Crop see list of meds above - and read this article - https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Having a plan for keeping a bird separated is always a good idea. A crate or kennel works well.

No one can be completely prepared. Do the best you can, consider your budget and go from there.
There are many first aid and medicine lists/threads here on BYC that cover a lot. Do a bit of search and you'll find those.

Corid (Amperolieum)
Amprolium

It's always good to have a few things on hand.
Some stuff you may never use, so just buy what's in your budget.

Basic wound care items don't have to be fancy - you can source generic products at stores like the Dollar Tree if you have one in your area.
Triple Antibiotic Ointment (for wounds), Epsom Salts (for soaking hens and feet), Clotrimazole (for sour crop), vet wrap, vaseline, etc. can all be for for a couple of $ at dollar stores.

Coccidiosis is generally treated using Corid (Amprolium) which is found in the cattle section of stores like TSC. It can also be found online.

Respiratory infections - the best way to help avoid disease is to source chick from a reputable hatchery. Bringing in new birds from say a "breeder", craigslist or auctions increase your chances of introducing illness to your flock, imho. Better yet, keep a closed flock and hatch your own, keeping hens/pullets and or roosters you wish to keep, process and eat the ones that you don't.
IF you feel you MUST have an antibiotic on hand for respiratory disease like MG, then Tylan/Tylosin would be a good choice.

For wounds/injury and other infections - I would use Amoxicillin which can be ordered online.

Having some vitamins on hand is a good idea. For a good basic all around poultry vitamin I prefer Poultry Cell.

Sour Crop see list of meds above - and read this article - https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Having a plan for keeping a bird separated is always a good idea. A crate or kennel works well.

No one can be completely prepared. Do the best you can, consider your budget and go from there.
There are many first aid and medicine lists/threads here on BYC that cover a lot. Do a bit of search and you'll find those.

Amprolium
Thank you, I already have some corid I recently bought for them when I thought a cockerel had coccidiosis but he actually had some sort of internal damage causing the blood, and I have plenty of separation crates, I've been hatching my own chicks but if I do buy birds i keep them separate for a week before i introduce them. Currently i have 2 feather picking hens who go behind all my hens and especially my poor rooster and pluck their tail feathers out, but i dont process my own birds because I get too attached to kill them myself, instead I know someone who takes unwanted chickens and free ranges them on a large property so that's where all my unwanted birds go, I have a feeling fawn and paprika are gonna be moving to there before long because my poor rooster doesn't have any tail feathers but I dont know if it could be from the molt but still I caught them doing it. I'm ranting now, I guess it's easy to talk about chickens forever.

Thank you, I already have some corid I recently bought for them when I thought a cockerel had coccidiosis but he actually had some sort of internal damage causing the blood, and I have plenty of separation crates, I've been hatching my own chicks but if I do buy birds i keep them separate for a week before i introduce them. Currently i have 2 feather picking hens who go behind all my hens and especially my poor rooster and pluck their tail feathers out, but i dont process my own birds because I get too attached to kill them myself, instead I know someone who takes unwanted chickens and free ranges them on a large property so that's where all my unwanted birds go, I have a feeling fawn and paprika are gonna be moving to there before long because my poor rooster doesn't have any tail feathers but I dont know if it could be from the molt but still I caught them doing it. I'm ranting now, I guess it's easy to talk about chickens forever.
It's good that you have someone willing to take unwanted birds.
Poor rooster! Feather picking can become a very bad habit. Do take time to ensure there's not another reason like lack of protein, parasites, inadequate space/boredom that is at the roost of the picking.

Having the Corid on hand is always a good idea, especially if you hatch chicks. I keep it too, but rarely use it.

Would eggs be considered animal protein, I'm going to start scrambling extra eggs for some protein and see if that doesn't stop the feather picking

Back
Top Bottom